CHAPTER SIX

𝒕𝒆𝒂𝒄𝒉𝒆𝒓'𝒔 𝒑𝒆𝒕

𝒕𝒆𝒂𝒄𝒉𝒆𝒓'𝒔 𝒑𝒆𝒕

It was quiet in Dr. Gregory's classroom. The lights were dimmed, and the projector at the front of the class showed a scene of bugs. I watch with an intense focus, copying down the notes. My eyes glance over to Xander, only to see that he's asleep, drooling.

"Xander!" I whisper-yell, throwing a pencil to get his attention. It nails him in the shoulder and lands on the floor with a dull clatter. Xander looks at me, sleepy-eyed. I point to the corner of my mouth, attempting to mirror his own. "You've got a little..."

He quickly wipes his mouth and chin, sitting up so he can hear the lecture. Or what's left of it, anyway.

"Their ancestors were here long before we were," Dr. Gregory continues. "Their progeny will be here long after we are gone—the simple and ubiquitous ant." The teacher cuts off the projector and turns on the light.

"Now...if you did the homework, you should know the two ways that ants communicate." Dr. Gregory glances around, before his eyes land on Buffy, who's my lab partner. "Miss Summers."

Buffy blinks. "Ways that ants communicate. With other ants."

"From the homework. Ants are communicating..."

She looks at Willow for guidance, only for the redhead to touch Xander's back. "Um, uh...touch. And...um..."

Willow gives Buffy the next answer by sniffing Xander.

"B.O.?" The blonde guesses.

I bite my bottom lip to keep from giggling when Blayne speaks up from behind me. "Thank God someone finally found the courage to mention that."

Dr. Gregory shakes his head. "That would be touch and smell, Miss Summers. Is there anything else Miss Rosenberg would like to tell you?"

The class bell rings, and I stand, stuffing my notes into my satchel. "All right, chapters six through eight by tomorrow, people," the teacher tells us.

Xander and Willow walk over to me. "Do I smell bad?" he asks.

I lean forward to take a whiff and shake my head. He smelled like an earthy cologne, which was pretty nice. "No, you smell good. A little bit of deodorant after gym class is needed though." Xander frowns and I smile playfully, reassuring him I was teasing. Willow rolls her eyes when we start bickering, following us out of the classroom.

♱ ♱ ♱

I walked down the stairs from the top floor of the Bronze, with Buffy and Willow trailing behind me. Loud rock music from the cover band fills my ears, and I see all of the hormonal teens on the dance floor.