CHAPTER TWELVE

𝒊 𝒓𝒐𝒃𝒐𝒕

𝒊 𝒓𝒐𝒃𝒐𝒕...𝒚𝒐𝒖, 𝒋𝒂𝒏𝒆

Rip was very rambunctious the next morning, which was something I didn't expect. He chewed on the laces of my combat boots as I was getting ready for school. He pawed at my hand as I did my eyeliner and mascara. He also claimed my dark purple sweater as his bed, which in turn, covered it in his fur. I didn't mind it, though, even if it took forever to lint-roll off.

"Are you sure that he's safe by himself?" I asked Mom. We both stood in the kitchen, watching as Rip played with a toy mouse—courtesy of Mrs. Duncan. Mom had called and asked if she had anything that she would be willing to give us, since she had quite a few cats of her own. She, in turn, gave us a brand new bag of kitten food, a litter box, some litter, and a few toys. I knew that she was often rude, but when it came to cats, she was totally different. She actually smiled at Mom when she came over to gift it to us.

"Of course he is," Mom replied. "Mrs. Duncan gave us some toys to keep him occupied. He has a litter box for when he needs to use the bathroom. You can leave him plenty of food and water. And as soon as I get off work I'll come straight home to take care of him."

I sighed. "Okay." Admittedly, I was terrified. I hoped that he wouldn't get hurt while I was at school. I wouldn't be able to protect him, especially from vampires. I didn't even know if they drank animal blood, but who knows!

I bend down and click my tongue. Rip perks up at the sound and bounds over to me as quickly as his tiny legs can, meowing. I scoop him up and give him lots of kisses.

"Don't let any vampires in," I tell him. "And if they somehow manage to come inside and try to hurt you, claw their faces until their flesh peels off their skull."

Rip stares up at me, purring. I hope he would be able to defend himself.

I look over to see Mom grimacing at me. "What?" I asked.

"Please don't worry, Katy," she said. "I'll ask Mrs. Duncan to come over every hour and check on him."

I nod, and set him down on the ground. He mewls softly.

"See you later, my sweet Rip," I said to him.

Later that morning, I'm in computer class, working on a book-scanning project. I didn't understand the whole idea of it, and also couldn't focus because of my thoughts about Rip. Willow, who sat beside me at the table, seemed to understand the whole concept, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Buffy lifts open the lid of a box. "Oh, great! A book!" she exclaimed with sarcasm. Buffy pulls the book out and blows some of the dust off of it.

The cloud of dust goes right in my face and I cough loudly. Willow pats me hard on the back. "Jeez, Buffy!" I wheeze.

Her frown is sincere. "Sorry." Xander doesn't hesitate to laugh at my misfortune from his spot at the computer. Buffy glares daggers at him.

Giles approaches the library table. "What's all of the commotions?" Buffy holds up the dusty book. "Oh, I...haven't gone through the new arrivals. Put it in that pile."