CHAPTER TWO

𝒘𝒆𝒍𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒎𝒐𝒖𝒕𝒉 ;𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒐𝒏𝒆

𝒘𝒆𝒍𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒎𝒐𝒖𝒕𝒉 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒐𝒏𝒆

I trudged up the school steps the next morning to see Xander and Willow standing near the entrance, most likely waiting for me.

When Willow noticed me she smiled, nudging Xander in his rib. He saw me and waved before they approached. I've known them since fifth grade. We've been best friends from back then until now—sophomore year.

"What's wrong, Katy?" Willow asked.

"Yeah," Xander agreed. "You look like you haven't slept in a week." His thumb runs across my cheek. "And there's a huge scratch right there."

I yawned, rubbing my eyes. "I couldn't sleep. Again."

Willow let out a small sigh. She knew exactly what I had meant by that, and so did Xander. They had always known about my different way of life, and never judged me for it. They had always kept my secret. I was grateful for that.

Willow's expression morphs into a giddy smile when she seems to have remembered something. "Have you talked to Greyson since he went back to California State?" She has a massive crush on my brother that has lasted since she was twelve and he was fifteen, and she just so happens to ask about him every chance she gets.

I nodded. "Yeah. He called this morning and said that he was coming down next weekend." My nuisance of an older brother was starting his sophomore year of college, working hard in hopes of getting a degree as a crime scene investigator. Why he wanted that job, I didn't know, but he said that he liked the idea of being able to help catch criminals and put, as he says, "the evil sons of bitches in their place". I, on the other hand, knew that it had something to do with our father.

"That's awesome!" Willow says, her smile gleeful. "Speaking of which, you and I haven't hung out in a while. Maybe I could come over when Greyson's home and tell him hey—"

"I saw that new girl earlier," Xander interrupts as we sat down on a nearby bench. I was thankful for his intervention. I didn't want to hear any more of Willow's fantasies that involved my older brother. "Pretty much a hottie."

"Ah, so now you have another girl to hopelessly crush on," I teased. Xander was often infatuated with girls he didn't have a chance with. His most recent crush was on Maria, a girl in our sophomore English class. As expected, it didn't turn out well whenever he admitted his feelings for her.

He frowned at my comment, turning to Willow. "I had a little trouble with the math."

"I can second that," I piped up. I wasn't the best at school, but math was always my worst subject.

"Uh, which part?" Willow asked.

"Math. Can you help me out tonight, please be my study buddy?"