You're Really Great, Too

Kaibara High's 29th Annual Culture Festival was coming up in the next month. With all the planning and preparations going on, the school was constantly busy.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that Yuki was named class 1-D's student representative. He did the job well, and not just because he could get everyone's attention and respect without even trying. He was responsible and good at the task, too.

"It's decided; for the festival, our class is going to operate a rice ball stand. With that settled, I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the kinds of fillings that we should use."

"Oh!" Tohru stood up. "What if we did tri-colour rice balls? So that in every rice ball, people get three different fillings to try." She smiled. "A bargain!"

"That's cute." Yuki replied. "I like it."

"Seriously?" Kinoshita wrinkled her nose. "We totally need to ditch that idea, Yuki."

"Yeah, what if she had suggested a tuna, kelp, and pickled plum combo?" Iwata asked.

"Oh my gosh, that would be so disgusting!"

As the two of them laughed, Hiyori piped up. "But you never know how it'll taste until you try it! Sometimes strange favors can come together to make one delicious one!"

Iwata snickered. "Oh, yeah? Then why don't you give it a try and let us know what you think?"

Their laughter came to an abrupt end when a metal pipe slammed down on Kinoshita's desk. Both girls shrieked under Uo's sneer.

"No rice ball would be anywhere near as disgusting as your personalities, morons."

Smiling weakly, Tohru tried to calm her down. "It's okay, you can calm down! There's no need to resort to violence -- "

"What kind of psycho brings a steel pipe to school?!"

Kyo broke his silence from the back of the room. "I say we should do rice ball battles!"

"Battles?" Hiroshi echoed.

"Yeah!" He punched one fist into his other hand. "Brutal head-to-head matches! First to pin their opponent wins!" Shooting up to his feet, he smirked. "Weapons are allowed, and customers have to duke it out for their rice balls! The only rule is no killing!"

95% of the class shot him down immediately. "Hard pass."

"I'm trying to contribute here! You jerks could at least think about it!"

"That's one idea." The vice rep smiled weakly.

Yuki glanced down in thought. "What if some of the rice balls are actually duds? We could make a deal where you buy three and then choose a fourth one for free...only some of the choices are simply empty."

"Sounds great!" 100% of the class chimed.

Kyo threw his hands on his desk. "You shoot me down, but accept his dumb idea?!"

As he dropped back down in his seat, Yusuke turned to grin at him. "Sorry, Kyon-Kyon! Yours was way too weird!"

Hiroshi ruffled Kyo's hair. "Don't pout about it, Kyon-Kyon!"

"Don't call me Kyon-Kyon!"

"Don't be mad, Kyon-Kyon."

Glancing up to the front of the classroom, Hiyori took notice of the frown on Yuki's face. She watched him replace it with a smile as he turned to the vice-rep.

"I have a student council meeting to attend, so if you wouldn't mind handling the arrangements for building the stand?"

The vice rep smiled. "Sure, just leave it to me."