It's Kind of Strange

Last year's Golden Week was far more eventful than this one. Hiyori didn't mind though; days at home were never dull, even when they weren't doing anything special. They spent one day shopping with Uo and Hana, and they spent another at the house with Miyumi. What mattered was that they were having fun.

Today, Tohru was busy with Daichi. And Shigure was out who-knows-where, so the house was pretty quiet.

Returning from the kitchen to hand Hiyori a wet rag, Yuki glanced outside. "It's too bad that we're into Golden Week, but we can't go on any trips this year."

She smiled. "Everyone is just so busy. But at least we've got nice weather to make up for it!"

"That's true." He glanced at the doors behind her. "By the way, where's Shigure? It's already past noon; he's not still sleeping, is he?"

"Well, you just woke up yourself, didn't you?" She giggled.

"..."

"Anyway, Shigure left earlier this morning. But I'm not too sure where he -- "

She paused her wiping the table. Upon feeling that her hand knocked into something, she glanced down to find that the "something" was Kyo's hand, which held the TV remote.

"..."

Today was only May 4th. In other words, three days since...that happened.

Sobbing again, Hiyori spun around to lean into his chest with only the sheet between them. And whether he saw it coming or not, Kyo held her closer. He set his chin back on her head as she cried into him.

Her hand knocking into his wasn't a big deal. At least not to normal people. But consider this; Hiyori was awkward. And Kyo was also awkward. So, after what happened on the first, what else could they do but flush bright red?

Kyo dropped the TV remote. Clutching the wet cloth to her chest, Hiyori stared at the table. "I am so sorry!"

He couldn't seem to look at her, either. "Don't worry about it!"

Yuki stared at them. "..."

"Here, gimme that." Kyo offered to take the cloth. "I'll do it."

"Oh, um, y-you don't have to..."

"Just give it here!"

"O-Okay, sorry!" She was quick to do as he asked. "Uh, thank you..."

All of a sudden, Yuki turned away from them with a bright smile. "Oh, that's right...I just remembered that...thing I have to do today! It totally slipped my mind! Shoot! I'd better leave right this second..."

"Wait, what..?" Hiyori paled slightly. "Y-You have plans..?"

Hiyori was (more often than not) stupid. She was oblivious, and sometimes she failed to read between the lines. But even she could see that Yuki was lying about any plans he had. He just wanted to escape.

"That's right!" Waving, he laughed airily. "I'm sorry about this, but these are some very important plans! I'll be back before dinner!"

Staring at the door through which he left, Hiyori sweatdropped. "..."

Still red in the face, Kyo frowned after him. "What's his deal..?"

The atmosphere was awkward. Hiyori couldn't possibly say otherwise. But now that Yuki had abandoned them to avoid being a third wheel, things were even more awkward.

Kyo had already finished wiping the table. Now they were just sitting in silence. If Hiyori could crawl into a hole to put an end to it, she would. She could hardly think of anything to say.