Well, I Hope So

The following morning was spent at the beach. While the boys were entrusted with getting groceries in town, Tohru and Hiyori accompanied Kisa, Hiro, and Miyumi to the beach. Unsurprisingly, Hiro spent his time sitting off to the side while the girls entertained themselves with their beach ball.

"I got it!" Hiyori knocked the ball toward Kisa. Catching it, Kisa raised the ball above her head with a beaming smile.

"Huh?! Slow down -- you sure?" All four girls turned to where Hiro was sitting on the sand. Frowning, he had his cell phone at his ear. "You know that you have a bad tendency to misunderstand things..." When he sighed, Hiyori and Kisa shared a curious glance. "Yeah, okay then...Well, don't trip or anything!"

He was still frowning as he hung up. Kisa went over to him. "What was that? Is something wrong?"

"No. Turns out my mom's pregnant."

"...Huh?!" All four of them shrieked.

"She went to the doctor, thinking she had a cold," He shrugged. "And, apparently, it was something else entirely. Ditzy as always..."

Beaming, the girls bent down next to him. Miyumi's eyes were starry. "Hiro's gonna have a new baby!"

"Congratulations!" Kisa beamed. "You need to start thinking about names!"

"Maybe the baby will take after you!" Tohru cheered. "And then we'll have another little Hiro running around!"

"I can't decide if a boy baby Hiro or a girl baby Hiro would be cuter!" Hiyori squealed.

Deadpanning, he raised a hand. "Okay, stop! You're making it sound like it's my baby!"

"Congrats." Over on the stairs connecting the beach to the road, Shigure fanned himself with his eyes on the blue sky. "Ah, Satsuki...She's still so young..."

Hiro shot up to glare at him. "Don't talk about my mom like that! It's downright disturbing!" He turned away. "Sheesh...It'd be nice if you considered her adolescent son's feelings."

"It's good news, you should happy for her."

Kisa blinked up at him. "Uncle Shigure, you've been sitting here all this time. Aren't you going to swim?"

"Hm..." He smiled. "I confess, I'm not the world's best swimmer."

Miyumi tilted her head. "No doggy paddle?"

"Afraid not. Ironic, isn't it?"

Tohru giggled. "So you just like the sun?"

"It's more that I like..." He smiled brilliantly. "All the swimsuits."

Hiyori sweatdropped. On the other hand, Hiro didn't stay for another second; grabbing the clueless Kisa's wrist, he stormed off to the ocean without a word.

Shigure called after them. "What, so a man can't joke, now?"

Blinking, Miyumi watched them go. "I don't get it..."

"Ah, don't you worry about it." He waved her off.

"...Okay." Already bored of the talk, she pulled Tohru back over to the ball. "Come on! Let's keep playing!"

"O-Okay!"

Giggling awkwardly, Hiyori turned back to Shigure. "Anyways, isn't it wonderful? The news about Hiro's mom, I mean." She clapped her hands together. "Seems like there'll be something to look forward to when next spring rolls around!"