I Figured As Much

Sitting at the table with Yuki, Shigure, and Kagura, Tohru released a sneeze. Broken doors were certainly not ideal in the fall; it only left them unable to block out the chilly wind.

Returning from the kitchen, Hiyori carried a tray of snacks and warm tea into the living room. She set everything down on the table and passed the cups around.

Yuki smiled. "Thank you." He looked up ahead. "It sure is cold in here."

"Yup." Shigure mused. "Breezy."

Timidly, Kagura lowered her head. "I'm sorry. I think I was just so excited to see Kyo again that I couldn't hold myself back."

Standing back up, Hiyori took the bag of ice that she had wrapped in a small hand towel. As she walked out to the deck, she blinked at Kagura's new demeanor.

'Her personality completely changed again. I would never guess that she had just beaten Kyo to a pulp.'

Crouching next to where Kyo was sitting, she offered the makeshift ice pack with a smile. Kyo stared at her in surprise before slowly accepting it. As he pressed it to his bruised cheek, Kagura turned to look at him over her shoulder.

"But, Kyo," She began. "It is partially your fault. You disappeared for four months and didn't even bother to call me once!"

He frowned. "Why should I have to worry about telling you where I am?"

She clasped her hands together and looked down at the floor. "Don't be silly. Of course, you should keep your future wife in the know."

"Future what now!?"

Hiyori gasped. "Wow, you guys are engaged?!"

Tohru smiled in delight. "I didn't know that you had a fiancée! That's so sweet!"

Staring boredly, Shigure and Yuki munched on crackers beside her.

"You must be relieved that someone would ever consider such a cruel fate."

"Congrats."

Kyo glared at them. "You guys aren't helping."

Kagura smiled. "You see, when we were little, Kyo told me we'd get married one day."

"Only 'cause you threatened me with kitchen knives!"

Frowning softly, she stood up. "What's wrong? You should want to marry another animal spirit; it's your best chance at happiness. We could suffer our curses together. And, of course," She latched onto him and hugged him tightly. Going by the look on his face, Hiyori couldn't tell if Kyo was just uncomfortable or truly in pain. He was still bruised from before, after all. "We don't transform when we hug each other!"

"Oh, woah!" Tohru stared in wonder. "It's true!"

"Watch!" Kagura turned and threw her arms around Yuki. His deadpan didn't change. "I can hug Yun-chan too!"

"That's really interesting." Tohru watched. "Why don't you change?"

Yuki pushed Kagura's face away. "Wish I knew. There are three others, though; female zodiac members, I mean. And we've found that they don't trigger our transformations either."

Hiyori dashed back into the room. "There are three more girls in the zodiac?!" She beamed. "I hope we'll get to meet them one day, too! What are they like?! This is so exciting!"

Shigure smiled at her. "Would you like to know their animals?"

"Really?! Oh, yes please -- "

"Wait!" Tohru grabbed her arm to stop her. "I think it'll be a lot more exciting if we get to see them and figure it out for ourselves!"