I'll Do My Best!

Something was wrong.

The past few days, Hiyori couldn't shake that feeling. It was nagging at her, and it just wouldn't stop. No matter how much she put her brain to work, she couldn't figure out what she was missing. Maybe it had to do with everything that'd been happening since they got back from summer break. So much was on her mind that whatever this one thing was, it must have been pushed to the side.

What was she forgetting?

When Yuki stood to leave the table on this particular evening, Shigure looked up curiously from his book. "What's this? Retiring to your room for the night already?"

"Oh..." He turned. "Yeah. There's some research I want to do. And I should start getting ready for the trip."

Blinking, Tohru and Hiyori looked up. "Wait, what was that? You're going on a trip, Yuki?"

Hiyori smiled curiously. "This is the first I'm hearing about it. Where to?"

Yuki blinked back at them. "Hold on...did you both forget about our class trip?"

Hiyori's smile turned blank. A beat of silence passed.

Then she, Tohru, and Kyo all gasped in panic. "Ah!"

"You too, cat?"

Kyo was quick to defend himself. "H-How am I supposed to remember every single thing?! I didn't even wanna go on the trip in the first place!"

"Still, it's not the kind of thing that one usually forgets." Shigure mentioned.

Hiyori pointed at Yuki as if she'd solved a great mystery. "That's it! That's what I've been forgetting all this time!"

Sighing, Shigure smiled weakly. "Oh, Hiyori..."

"Oh, no, this is terrible!" Tohru squeezed the towel in her hands. "I haven't done anything to get ready yet! Shigure, quick! Is there any specific kind of souvenir that you want?!"

He waved his hand in dismissal. "Forget about me. I'd much rather you focus on having a good time, 'kay?" He winked. "School trips are important milestones in a student's life, right?"

Hiyori blinked. "Oh, okay...." Clenching her fists, she grinned. "Then we'll just bring you back a surprise souvenir!"

Patting her head fondly, Shigure sweatdropped. "I don't think you get it. But, in any case, you must get souvenirs for yourselves. Pick something, yet?"

"Oh, yes!" Tohru clasped her hands together. "Some figurines."

Kyo set his head in his hand. "What's the big deal about some dumb trip?" He frowned at the table. "Sounds like more trouble than it's worth to me. Maybe I'll just ditch..."

Deflating slightly, Hiyori blinked. "Oh, but -- "

She bristled when Shigure's book hit the side of Kyo's head. "Stupid Kyon!"

"Ow!"

"Class trips are essential!" Shigure stood over him with a furious glare. "They're the essence of romance! The highlight of one's school career! Young people lose their inhibitions; feel free to confess their love! And who knows where that might lead..."

The next thing Hiyori knew, she was blinking as Kyo pushed her out of the room by her head. Following them, Yuki led a clueless Tohru out by her shoulder.

"Hey! Don't you walk away from me!"

~🦋~

So, against all odds, they ended up in Kyoto. The light October breezes had Hiyori wearing her lavender sweater over her uniform shirt, but that didn't mean the weather wasn't beautiful. It was; almost as beautiful as the scenery, in fact.