I Am, Aren't I?

How could Shigure bear to sit in a kimono when it was so hot outside? That's one mystery Hiyori didn't think she could ever solve.

She herself was almost sweating in far lighter clothing; the faint summer wind wasn't cool in the slightest. Every breeze that chimed the porch bells was a warm one. As Hiyori wiped down the table after breakfast, Tohru was busy ironing the laundry. Shigure, meanwhile, was lazing on the porch while fanning himself.

"Summer break is finally here..." He sighed aloud. "You children are so lucky; adulthood offers no such reprieve. Better enjoy it while you can."

Sitting at the table with his usual carton of milk, Kyo frowned at him. "You've gotta be kidding. Your whole life's a freaking vacation."

Chuckling, Shigure shook his head. "Alas, not true. This paltry freedom we adults have can't compare to a society's ancient "summer break"."

"What the hell are you talking about..?"

"You'll understand all too well once you've got a job of your own. Trust me."

Tohru looked over. "But we did get lots of homework to do over the break. I'm worried about what'll happen if I don't finish it in time. So," She clenched her fists in weak determination. "I'll have to try hard!"

Hiyori froze. "...Uh oh. I already forgot about the homework." She dropped her head in despair. "There goes a summer break free of stress..."

"It breaks my heart to see you girls this worried, so let me give you a piece of advice;" Shigure grinned at them. "Talk to our faultless Yuki and ask very politely if you can copy his homework!"

Hiyori sweatdropped. Tohru waved her hands. "No, no, we could never do something like that!"

Kyo scoffed. "Right, because he's so perfect. More like boring and robotic."

Seeing the presence behind him, Hiyori raised a hand. "Um, Kyo..?"

"The guy's just lame -- !"

Yuki kicked him. Kyo flew over the table; he went right past Hiyori and through the open door. When he face-planted on the stoned path outside, Tohru and Hiyori bristled.

"Kyo!"

"Better than being stupid." Yuki deadpanned.

"Kyo?!" Hiyori darted to her feet. "You're not dead down there, are you?!"

"Never fear." Shigure chimed. "It'll take more than that to kill Kyo."

Yuki sighed. "Unfortunately..."

Growling, Kyo stood back up with a bruised forehead. "Bastard!"

"See? He's still breathing."

Kyo ran back in to shout in Yuki's face. "If you're gonna attack, do it head-on, you dirty cheater!"

"You'd have known I was there if you weren't so stupid."

Next to them, Hiyori sighed weakly. "Y-You guys..."

"Stop calling me stupid!"

Running over, Tohru forgot the hot iron in her hand. She threw out both hands to try and stop their arguing. "Please don't fight, you guys! I don't want you getting hurt!"

The iron came a little too close to Hiyori's face. Bending back to avoid it, she ended up falling right to the ground. Tohru still didn't notice that Kyo and Yuki leaned away, too.

"T-Tohru..."

"Watch what you're doing!" Kyo exclaimed.

"Oh, my gosh!" She squeaked. "I-I'm sorry!"