i. maria

MARIA GEORGE had always loved to sing

MARIA GEORGE had always loved to sing. So much so that when she saw that her Spanish teacher, William Schuester, was looking for members for the school's Glee club she knew she had to join. She also knew that due to Glee's immense unpopularity and the fact that only 5 people out of the required 12 had signed up - she would be accepted even if she bombed the audition - but she also knew there was no chance in hell she would bomb that audition. She knew the song she would sing from the moment she saw the sign up sheet; 'Maria' by Blondie. It was the song she was named after, after all - and apparently also the song she was conceived to as well. Although, she would've preferred her Aunt Bridie to have not told her that over Christmas, but some things you just can't prevent.

It had only been a few hours since Maria signed her name on the sign up sheet, yet it was already time for her audition. And funnily enough, despite the nerve and dread she had felt during those few hours, from the minute she stepped on that stage she felt a sense of comfort - sense of comfort she had never felt in her life before. "Hello, I'm Maria George, and I'm singing the Blondie classic 'Maria'"

"We suck" Rachel complained, as we finished singing 'Sit Down You're Rocking The Boat'. And usually, Maria would disagree out of spite but at this very moment she couldn't help but agree with the girl.

"Uh, it... It'll get there. We-we just need to keep rehearsing." Schue stuttered. For some reason, Maria didn't believe that.

"Mr. Schuester, do you have any idea how ridiculous it is to give the lead solo in 'Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat' to a boy in a wheelchair?" Rachel moaned.

"I think Mr. Schue is using irony to enhance the performance" Artie suggested.

"That's definitely what he's doing." Maria agreed.

"There is nothing ironic about show choir!" Rachel grumbled.

"There's also nothing ironic about your bitch fits" Maria countered, before Rachel stormed out - with Schue following after her, leaving the other five alone. Someone else should break the silence first, Maria thought. The only person she even knew slightly in that room was Mercedes and that was through church and even then they barely spoke because Maria was socially awkward - except for on stage, the stage unleashed a side of Maria she didn't even know she had. Before Maria even had the opportunity to break the silence the bell rang and the five seperated, venturing to their next classes.

"Oh, hell to the no. Look, I'm not down with this background singing nonsense. I'm Beyoncé. I ain't no Kelly Rowland." Mercedes complained as Rachel and Finn finished singing "You're The One That I Want".