xxiii. scream & shout

"All right, who can tell me who Christopher Cross is?" Schue asked

"He discovered America." Brittany answered.

"I thought that was Columbus." Maria replied, "I'm pretty sure Christopher Cross is the magician my grandpa's always talking about."

"It is." Jay agreed.

"Yes, Maria, he is a magician but he did write an iconic chart topper: Sailing." Schue clarified.

"I have a bad feeling about this lesson." Kurt mumbled.

"Mhm." Maria agreed.

"Never heard of him, don't want to hear about him." Tina complained.

"Now some people think of the term Easy Listening as a bad thing. But I'm going to let this music speak for itself. You guys love Lady Gaga and the Rolling Stones... and you guys are really good about putting it all out there. But really good music can also be controlled, and restrained. It doesn't have to attack an audience, it can let them come to you." Schue informed.

"When did we ever claim to like the Rolling Stones?" Maria muttered to Kurt, before continuing, "Oh, wait, the football guys, makes so much sense now."

"How could you get caught between the moon and New York City? They're like a hundred miles apart." Finn asked.

"You could get stranded on a rocket." Maria suggested, "Or you could be in one of those rockets that didn't make it and exploded."

"Mr. Schue? If I may. I think I speak for all of us when I say it's not that we don't love the idea of spending a week on this silky smooth Adult Contemporary, it's just that, as teens, this isn't the easiest music for us to relate to. However, there is a burgeoning Facebook campaign that has swelled to over five members.The ardent demand: That this week, at the fall homecoming assembly, the McKinley High School Glee Club performs a number by... Wait for it...Ms. Britney Spears." Kurt proposed.

"Spears, Spears, yeah." Artie called out.

"Sorry, Kurt, Kurt, sorry. No, no, no. I don't think she's a very good role model." Schue insisted.

"Since when has this club been about good role models?" Maria asked, "We had a Madonna week and some - mainly conservative Christians - would consider her not a good role model. You invited April Rhodes into this glee club because you didn't believe that we could cope without Rachel. This club isn't about role models. Never has, never will be, period."

"But, Mr. Schue, we kind of grew of up with her." Rachel protested.

"She's literally why I wanted to become a performer." Tina commented.

"She shaped a generation, Mr Schue, you can't ignore that." Jay chimed in.

"I don't want to do Britney." Brittany confided.