xiii. that don't impress me much

Maria woke up this morning with a sense that her luck was turning; naturally she assumed everyone would hate the glee club less after they won sectionals, that, she was wrong about

Maria woke up this morning with a sense that her luck was turning; naturally she assumed everyone would hate the glee club less after they won sectionals, that, she was wrong about. However, her luck had turned because when Rachel, Mercedes and Kurt got slushied she was at the dentist - if it had been any other day she would've been walking down that hallway, getting slushied with them - but she wasn't.

Hello Mr Schue wrote on the whiteboard, what drug is the man on today? Is it crack? she pondered. "Hello." He stated, causing them all to share bamboozled looks, "Helloooo?"

"Hello." they mumbled in unison, Rachel - as usual - overshadowing the rest of them.

"What do you guys say when you answer the phone?" He asked.

"What up?" Mercedes replied.

"Who dis be?" Artie responded.

"No, she's dead, this is her son." Kurt answered, leading them all to give him a look of concern and confusion.

"O-kay. Alexander Graham Bell, inventor of the telephone, liked to say, ahoy, ahoy when he answered the phone. It was Edison who decided that hello was a more appropriate greeting." Schuester explained. "Look. I am really proud of what you guys did at sectionals. But, as most of you have realized by now, it hasn't made a bit of difference in your day-to-day at school."

"I have a slushie-stained training bra to prove it." Rachel stated.

"You're not going to make us go around the school and explain the origin of the use of hello for answering the phone are you?" Maria questioned sarcastically.

"No." He clarified.

"Thank god, fact is, we're going to have to be better, even more spectacular at regionals. It's time for some reinvention, some new, New Directions. We need a new ... hello. Here's your assignment for the week: Come up with a fresh number, but it has to have hello in the song title. Alright?" He elaborated. Time go through my music collection. I wonder if Shania has anything? Maria thought.

"Alright, guys, we gotta get moving on those hello numbers. Who has got something to show us? Volunteers?" Schuester asked, entering the room.

"Mr. Schuster, I think I've found a song that sums up my feelings perfectly." Rachel replied.

Gives You Hell was what she sang. Maria thought it was wild. Maria was in a state of shock. Maria thought it was dope.

"Guys, guys, I don't want to be a buzzkill but the assignment was hello." Schuester interrupted.

"I'm sorry, I was just focusing on the first syllable." Rachel explained.

"And it was phenomenonal." Maria added, causing pretty much everyone to look at her shocked as she had spent most of her life silently hating the girl. And Rachel, she gave Maria an appreciative smile.