Chapter 32: Cold Indeed

My heart was in my throat when it was time to go to Karen's home.

Serge was waiting for me by the door.

I told myself it was just Karen.  The anxiety ran through my cells, reminding me there was no just about it.

It was not only Karen, who was bad enough as far as the curse was concerned.  My leader and his second and his wife and their three children was a whole lot of pack for me to be around.  It felt almost as bad as when I was dragged to the shelter as a quivering mess when Serge had to fight.

I pulled on my runners.  Most of the snow had melted except for compact piles in the shade of the trees.  The lawn was still damp from the spring melt, but at least the driveway was dry.

I followed Serge to his truck and climbed into the passenger side.  He had gotten in as well and I shut the door, enclosing me with him.

Nervousness flooded though me.  I had been in this truck before and there had been times when it had felt worse and times when it had been better.  It was only because we were going to Karen's house that I felt so nervous.

Serge put the truck into gear and we pulled away from the house.  I tried to rationalize my fear away, not that the curse ever listened to me.

We drove past the town and Serge pulled into the driveway of a white house with blue trim.  There were flowerbeds in the front and I could see the greenroom extension Karen had told me about off to the left of the building.  My heart leapt into my throat as the truck pulled to a stop.

"We're here," Serge said.  I swallowed and pushed open the door.

I noticed movement in the yard behind the house.  A young wolf was running, and a second one chased it.  They were too big to be true wolf pups from this year, but too small to be pups from the previous.  I realized that the two little wolves must be Karen and Dan's kids.

And then I realized I was looking at them.  I had either become more resolute or young werewolves truly fell into the same only slightly terrifying category as true wolves and regular humans in the pack.  I smiled shakily.

"You ready?" Serge asked.

I nodded.  Realizing I could look at Karen's children made me feel hopeful until the curse consumed the emotion.

Serge started walking toward the house and I followed him, he slowed until I was nearly beside him.  The curse wanted me to hang back, but since he was clearly forcing me to catch up with him I managed without stumbling over myself.

It was uncomfortable, but it was another way to ignore the curse's insistent demands so I made myself keep pace with him.  I shivered as Serge knocked on the door.

Karen opened the door and I glanced at her face for the briefest moment and saw that she wore a warm welcoming smile before my eyes fled to the furthest corner of the yard.

"Good to see you, come in.  Supper's almost ready, make yourself comfy in the living room while you wait," she requested before rushing off again.

"Will do," Serge said.  He held the door for me and I scurried inside.  I swallowed as I copied Serge in removing my shoes and jacket.

"Through here," Serge said, directing me since I was blocking him.  I hurried forwards, trying to get out of his way.

Serge sat on a couch and I sat on a single chair opposite him, still engaging in my mime routine.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

I nodded, although in truth I felt like jumping out of my skin to escape.  I felt overwhelmed.  I had not been around Serge, Karen, and Dan together since the day I had been cursed.  I could feel where Serge had bit me like ice all over again.