Ch 1: The False Pack

I had no choice but to shrink back against the rocks and stay as far away from the fighting as I could and wait.  My strong wolf body huddled and shivered like a cornered rabbit.

I watched, but I could not bring myself to look directly at particular wolves in the fray, presumably the wolves who were above me in my new—my false pack.

Even thinking of them sent a wave of fear through me.  It wove around my heart and squeezed.  After mere moments of this cold dread I could not imagine how I would live like this.  I understood I had never known true fear before.

My one consolation was I could still look at my family and Matthias and the other members of the pack I loved.  I watched as our fighters took care of the remaining eastern aggressors.

The few that were not killed outright were forced into submission, but through physical might alone, not the overwhelming curse that had been laid upon me.

It was only once the threat was routed that my father noticed I was there.  He was definitely furious at my disobedience and I longed for the days when that would have been my biggest concern.  I could not even properly worry about his reaction under the sweeping waves of terror in which I now drowned.

He trotted over to me, his eyes full of anger.  His fury melted into concern as he observed me shaking in a pathetic heap.

Sean followed him with a similar expression on his wolfish face and he too looked me over carefully with his quiet golden eyes.

I could see they both knew that something was wrong.

Sean found the wound on the back of my neck and they exchanged a look that made my heart drop even further.  Their dire expressions confirmed what I already knew.

My father nudged me and tried to get me to follow him home, but my body was not interested in listening to his or even my own commands.

All I could do was shiver with my eyes shut against the truth that even then I could not hide from.

My shaking increased until I felt I might rattle apart at the joints.  Then I became aware that an unfamiliar wolf had come up to me.

I could smell that he was male and I did not know him; I did not need to open my eyes to know that.

I also did not need my eyes to know that he was the one who had attacked me, because the wound on the back of my neck burned with ice as he came nearer to me.  I cowered.

My father growled at the intruder.  He did not respond in kind and I could not bring myself to look over to read the nonverbal communication between the three.

Finally, he nudged my shoulder with his muzzle.  The spot he touched almost felt like I was stabbed, but at the same time it was as if I had been released from a spell.

I found myself walking after him towards my home.  I could see him from the corner of my eye, but I could not bear to look at him so I shifted my eyes to look at the passing rocks and trees with absolute disinterest.  I followed him, instinctively ensuring I was neither too close nor too far away.

My heart pounded frantically as the cold magical shivers of fear continued to rush through me.

* *  *   *   *   *   *  * *

My house came into view and I watched as some of the pack came out to greet the returning warriors.

The wolf who had bit me walked away out of sight of the corner of my eye, allowing me to relax slightly.