Ch 22: Inconsistency

A lot of things happened in the time it took for water to reach the other side of the table and start dripping onto the floor.

I frantically grabbed napkins and tried to sloppily rectify my error. Moramay whispered something harshly in my father's ear. My useless brother continued to watch the interplay between the two leaders as if it were a perfectly normal situation and I were not about to dissolve into fearful hysterics.

"Then just kill me, Nick. We both know no one would fault you for it," Serge said, his voice calm and cold.

"I've certainly thought about it," my father said.  He looked horribly serious.

"Then do it," Serge said as if it was nothing of import. "I won't even try to stop you."

"We both know why I can't," my father responded, his words almost a growl.

"Then let's destroy that damned king and his forces so they never dare raise their heads towards us again," Serge suggested.

My father nodded. "And then I'll be free to do whatever needs to be done."

I did not like the threat on Serge's life and the curse was in full agreement, attacking every part of my body as if it were my fault that other people were saying such things.

I could not take it anymore. I abandoned my shaky, futile attempt to clean up my spill and I faced my father.

"Dad, I don't want you to kill h-him," I said loudly in a steady voice that surprised even me.

"After what he's done? When it would free you?" my father asked.  He was staring at me as if he could not believe my words.

He narrowed his eyes turned his glare towards Serge. "Did he command you to defend him?"

I shook my head and shoved my words through the fog of fear surrounding me. "No, h-he wouldn't do that. H-he's trying, okay? It was a mistake and even though I can't look at his face I can see h-he's sorry."

"But you're his thrall now, so how can I know that your words are your own?" my father pointed out.

I made myself straighten my hunched frame. "If it were only the c-curse, I would be on the floor shaking right now. I said I was fighting i-it, dad, and you have to trust me."

Serge spoke from behind me and I shivered. "I think your father is right. It's the curse affecting you. You told me yourself that you hated me for what I did."

I paused and considered how to explain what I meant, to gather the strength necessary to contradict him.

In response, the curse rushed over me with enough force that I wanted to drop to my knees prostrate before him. "I-I also s-said I-I sh-should forgive y-y-you," I reminded him shakily as I half turned back to face him.

"And I said you should not."

Everyone in the room seemed to disappear except for me and Serge and of course, the ever present curse.

I could barely breathe as the magic chains constricted around me. I lost my battle with my body and ended up dragged to the floor beside the table for daring to defy him. I swallowed hard through my constricted throat.

"And unless y-y-you want to c-command my th-thoughts and f-feelings then I-I c-c-can f-forgive y-you if I ch-chose," I managed to get out.

Then, in the most overt declaration of war I could manage against the curse, I raised my burning eyes and met his gaze.

* * * * * * * * *

I was little better than a huddled mess of terror after my rebellion. Sean helped me get back up in my chair. I could hear Moramay scolding my father about how I had warned him that threats and criticisms of Serge agitated the curse.