Ch 36: Optimism

The rest of the day at the pack offices passed by in a flurry of activity and the weekend was much the same. I watched a random movie with Tabitha, but it seemed odd without Jodi to round out our little trio. Matthias came to visit on Saturday, but he did not stay long.

We stayed at Serge's house on Saturday and Sunday, but there were a unusual number of visitors throughout the day, mostly pack members.

If felt like there was nowhere safe to look and the only place safe to hide was out in the forest or in my room. I tried to force myself to be around the pack members to the best of my ability, but my reserves were quickly depleted and I was reduced to a cowering thrall once again.

Monday marked my fifth week as a thrall and brought with it our return to the pack offices. I gave up trying to help, the stimulus was too much for me and I sensed that I was going to need all the strength I could get by the end of the week. I decided to take a short rebellion vacation, since the curse was already punishing me harshly before I even stepped out of line.

I came to appreciate the relative peace of my earlier enthrallment.

While listening passively at supper, I learned that the challenger had set the date for the battle as the Friday directly after the vote, if it came to that. I also discovered that the three leaders intended to meet the next day for a quick less formal meeting than had originally been planned.

"C-can I c-come to it?" I asked. "I w-want to s-see my dad."

"Of course," Serge agreed easily.

I almost managed to look towards him and smiled to show my gratitude.

* * * * * * * * *

I woke up in the morning, my heart pounding and tears on my face. I rubbed off the liquid and looked at my damp hand. Tears? What had I been dreaming?

Had I dreamt of my mother? Like always, I could not remember.

I dragged myself out of bed. I hoped I was hiding it effectively, but I was wearing down. I was more shaky than I had been in weeks.

I could only hope that the challenger would lose the vote on Thursday and I could go back to my new, manageable normal.

I got myself ready and made my way out to the kitchen to find Karen cooking breakfast for Serge and Dan and presumably me. I sat on the furthest stool from Dan and Serge and ate and drank what was put in front of me.

Once we were finished, we headed to the pack offices as per our new normal. I carried my backpack into my little crevice and tried to keep myself occupied.

There was a firm knock on the door. I jumped.

"Elise?"

It was Serge.

"C-come in," I squeaked.

The door opened and he walked inside. We had not been alone much since the night of the challenge.

He lowered his large body into the chair against the wall.

"Se-Ser...?"

"Sorry to bother you," he said.

"N-no b-bother."

"Are you going to be alright at the meeting? We might have to talk about topics that are hard for you."

I nodded. Silence stretched out between us.

"I'm going to lose the vote," Serge informed me.

"Y-you d-don't know that," I protested.