19. The Only Way

19. The Only Way

As a precaution, I convinced Elena, Stefan, Damon, and Jeremy to lock me up in the basement again later that night. I didn’t want to take any chances of the demon waking up trying to decapitate or stake anybody in the house. Pretty much everybody was against my idea at first, but persuasion helped me win them over.

I was alone in the basement; Chase had been taken away somewhere. I hoped he had amnesia after that rough blow he was given earlier today. It’d be one less threat to deal with.

I knew it was night, I could barely see moonlight. Elena wanted to make me feel comfortable, so she insisted I got a mattress, pillows, and blankets in the cell with me. It made being in the cell somewhat more endurable than it had been before.

Of course, I couldn’t totally get away with being unsupervised. I was due to have a guard outside of the cell door every now and again. Damon had the first shift, and he was supposed to head down any minute. I hated condemning myself to this, but there was no other choice. I didn’t want anybody to get hurt because of me.

My body tensed at the sound of feet and…chains? I could hear chains rattling in the distance. Was this some extra security measure I didn’t approve of? Knowing Damon, Elena, Stefan, and Jeremy, it most likely was.

“You were right when you said this was a cell hell,” I croaked when I saw him come into view. His blue-gray eyes softened—something that rarely happened. In his hand—like I had suspected—were chains. I sighed. It looked like I was going to have an uncomfortable sleeping position tonight.

He opened the barred door, shutting it behind him. I cowered into the wall behind me.

“Do you think getting near me is a good idea, what with the nervous ticks I get from having a killer demon inside of me?” I asked warily.

“You’ve had good control over them,” he said simply. He sat on his knees, just in front of the mattress. He grabbed a hand with his, shuddering. “You’re cold.” He cautiously felt my forehead. “It’s probably because you’re down here.”

I sat my hands in my lap, trying to warm them. “So who’s got the next shift?” I asked.

“Elena does.”

“Where did you drop Chase off?”

“In the middle of nowhere.” He smirked.

“I hope you really mean that and didn’t kill him.”

“I didn’t.”

Somehow, I could believe him on that. “How’d everybody else feel about it?”

“Oh, the usual: ‘There’s no way he’s got amnesia, he’s going to run off and bring back help.’ ‘What a stupid idea.’ ‘We should’ve kept him locked up.’ ‘He’d be better off dead.’”

“You’re exaggerating,” I snorted.

“Somewhat,” Damon admitted. He ran a hand through his hair. “It sucks that the witch hasn’t been back around to try something again. I’d like to make him feel the pain that you’re feeling.”

I coughed, covering my mouth. Damon clambered onto the mattress, holding me. I sighed, sniffing. This demon was tearing me apart on the inside.

“If I could make this go away, I would,” he whispered.

“I-I know,” I sputtered, burrowing into him more. I forced my eyes to keep awake. I was not about to let myself doze off, not when Damon was holding me and was so close to me, within striking range…