5. Breaking Free

5. Breaking Free

            Bonnie, Elena, and Caroline were determined to keep tabs on Trevor, all while keeping me away from him. I really didn't like that; considering he'd suspect something was up if he didn't see me with the girls. I went to the Grill less, and when I went out to the Town Square to get some air, I had to be accompanied by Elena, Caroline, or Bonnie. I felt like I was being babysat. It was like they were expecting me to try and evade them so I could sneak off to see Trevor.

            I'd admit, I had thought about doing that so many times, but definitely not at night. Of course, the times I wanted to sneak out of the house, Elena had Jeremy babysit me. Yes, she even told Jeremy about the incident. Apparently he had a right to know what was going on with his cousin just as much as Elena did. He was on the same page as the girls were: Trevor was suspicious; they were to keep tabs on him while I was to not speak or see him ever again. I understood why they were protecting me and all, but it felt overbearing. I felt like I was being smothered.

            It had been about a week and a half since the incident at the Gilbert household. It was mid September now. The temperatures were finally starting to drop, and it was finally beginning to feel and look like fall. Some of the trees' leaves were starting to morph their colors.

            I grumpily clomped down the stairs. My morale had really been down in the dumps ever since I got under the witness protection program founded by Elena, Bonnie, and Caroline. I wanted to air out on my own, but I couldn't be trusted. They knew that if I was given that freedom, I'd bolt the first chance I'd get and go hunt for Trevor. Well, I couldn't help it if the guy kept popping into my dreams.

            Yes, the shady guy who they'd told me to keep away from kept invading my mind at night. Of course, it was nothing like the first time he starred in my dreams. These times were much more different and more...enjoyable—that seemed to be a good way to put it. They all pertained to the same thing: Trevor and I being able, spending some quality time together. No Elena or Bonnie or Caroline to take me away from him—just a simple dream that involved me falling for the mysterious, sexy guy, and even getting a kiss or two from him.

 I never told anyone about those dreams; they'd hold an intervention for me if I did. Knowing those girls, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

            "Morning," Elena chirped the moment I stepped into the kitchen. I just yawned and ignored her. She knew I wasn't happy with her. Bonnie, Jeremy, and Caroline all knew it, too. I was just waiting for Tyler and Stefan to join the program, and possibly even Damon as well. Ugh, that man. I still couldn't stand him even though I only met him once since my stay here in Mystic Falls.

            "I'm glad you didn't say 'good morning,'" I mumbled, stretching. "So...am I given freedom today or not?"

            "No, you're under house arrest today."

            "I still think being confined to the house is a little extreme," I protested, ruffling my dirty blonde bed head. "I mean, you guys could easily keep us at a distance from each other. This is on the border of unnecessary."

            "To you, yes, but to us it's not."

            "I feel like a prisoner, Elena!" I whined dramatically. "I can't be cooped up here forever! I want to get out by myself and enjoy a day out. Is that too much to ask for?"

            "For you, yes. Look, I'm going out grocery shopping, so Jeremy's going to be watching you again."

            I groaned.