13. The Growing Threat

            I knew who this person was even though I really didn’t. I knew why he was here, too. He was a vampire hunter. I could see, hanging on his belt, a thick, sharpened stake. The other dead giveaway was that he was showered in vervain—that nasty herb whose odor made me want to choke.

My eyes widened, blue-green meeting black. This hunter looked young too; he had to be no older than twenty. He had that bad boy air about him, with the way his dark hair looked, and the way he dressed. Were all vampire hunters going with the bad boy cover? I swallowed, very uneasy right now.

            “Don’t make a sound and I won’t make you suffer,” he crooned. His voice was husky but sounded attractive at the same time. Wow, what a lovely thing to think about when I’ve got a vampire hunter cornering me!

            I did the first thing that came to mind—I socked him in the groin. I guess I learned a bit from the very few self-defense lessons I had taken. I heard the wind escape him, and he buckled to his knees. I shoved past him, heading straight for the door. I needed to get to the phone and call for help. If I couldn’t reach the phone, I’d run out of the house and try to find a safe place.

            I couldn’t even get outside the door, because a heavy, unknown force slammed into my body, thrusting me into midair, causing me to land harshly on my back in the bedroom. I heard the hunter near me groaning as he was trying to recover from my blow to him. I tried to sit myself up, but the force knocked me onto my back again. I tried moving, but I couldn’t. It was like a boulder had fallen on me and I couldn’t wiggle my way out from under it. What was holding me down? I saw nothing.

            I fretted, straining to give myself even a small break. The most I could move was my head. My legs were stuck, so were my body and arms. I felt paralyzed. The feeling scared me to death.

            “Nice work, James, as usual,” a female voice crooned. Since when did girls become vampire hunters? It always seemed like an all-guy thing to me.

            I couldn’t see who James was or who was the girl was—I wasn’t allowed to lift my head to look. I stared at the ceiling, my heart jumping each time feet crept closer to one side of me. I saw two sets of boots, one pair skinnier than the other. The skinny pair belonged to the girl, whose face I could now see.

            She looked young, perhaps younger than the guy who—I could now tell—was slowly getting back on his feet. They didn’t look related. She had wavy brown hair that fell past her shoulders. Her brown eyes showed no soft side to her. She probably didn’t have one, being she was a hunter—a cold human being.

            “Trevor was right after all,” she cooed. His name stung my heart, bringing back the memories of him: what he looked like, his false charade to get me to trust him, his last night in the world.

            “Alec said we could trust him,” said a gruff voice. That had to belong to James, because it didn’t sound like the other hunter.

            I decided to give up on my struggling against the invisible pressure on my body. I was grateful for being allowed to move my head from side to side. How is this possible? I pondered the idea long and hard until I came to the conclusion that Bonnie wasn’t the only witch here in Mystic Falls.

            James was one, and he was working with the vampire hunters.

            “I bet you’re the one who killed him,” the girl snarled at me. “Trevor talked a lot about you, Faith—is it?” She cackled.