10. Help All Around

10. Help All Around

            The few weeks following my near death experience weren’t fun or eventful. It wasn’t like I was put under house arrest or anything like before—I was allowed to go out, but I had to have someone with me. Mostly Elena, Caroline, and Bonnie were with me at all times. Thankfully, nobody had to keep tabs around the house at night. That eased things up, but very little.

            With Trevor gone, my morale went down considerably. First came the heartbreak, then the nightmares about him—whether it was a replay of the night Damon saved my life, or the one where Trevor actually was about ready to kill me. Elena always woke me up from those dreams not because I screamed, but because I fretted so much that it woke her up. It was like my first few nights in the house all over again, only the nightmares were different, and much scarier.

            With the exception of Jeremy, I became distant with Stefan, Damon, and Tyler. Trevor made me feel like I couldn’t trust guys anymore, even if they were Elena’s friends. At one point, I became paranoid that they were vampire hunters in disguise. Elena thought I was being silly, and eventually, I knew I was. I definitely stayed away from Damon the most, only because he resembled Trevor a bit—and he reminded me of the times Trevor and I were together each time I saw him.

            It was the second week of October now. The temperatures were getting a little too cool for my liking. Some trees’ limbs were starting to become naked, ready to hibernate when winter arrived. On sunny days, the sun didn’t warm me up. On cloudy days, it was extremely nippy outside—those days I didn’t go out.

            I was sprawled out on the couch, in sweats and a brown hoodie. My leg wound had finally healed, but the emotional wound was slowly on the mend. How long that would take to heal, I wasn’t sure. Maybe soon. Maybe never. All I knew was that I definitely would get to know a guy before falling for him—if that was even possible.

So far, my impulse was going for mysterious boys I didn’t know a thing about, the boys who many deemed dangerous to go near.

            I kept my eyes closed, thinking. Elena hadn’t mentioned anything about self-defense yet. The only time it was never mentioned was the night I was attacked. I wasn’t sure if anyone else got told about it. I was sure Jeremy knew about Elena’s idea.

            Speaking of my cousin, she was out, like always. I was home alone, like I had been most of the time. I had a reason to be afraid about being alone. I could be watched right now, the vampire hunters could surround the house. The only thing I could do was run to the kitchen, grab a knife, and hope for the best. Unless Elena had the power to predict when intruders would ambush the house, I was on my own.

            The idea of self-defense didn’t seem silly to me since I definitely needed it now more than ever. True, I’d be going against possibly armed crazy people, but if I could disarm them, I’d have a fighting chance. I now wondered whenever training started if Elena would provide mock props to help me disarm my opponents. I can’t believe I’m actually considering doing this, I thought.

            When the door swung open suddenly, I shot up, ready to flee into the kitchen to grab the closest—and hopefully—biggest knife I could to arm myself with. I relaxed when I saw it was only Elena coming home. I breathed a sigh of relief.

            “Did I wake you?” she asked timidly as she crossed into the living room. “I didn’t know you were sleeping.”

            “I wasn’t sleeping, just thinking,” I corrected her. I yawned. “Where were you?”