3. An Uninvited Nuisance

            Since Elena and her friends got me curious about the mysterious guy I was destined to keep away from, I pestered her about him the moment we stepped through the door. Elena immediately tried to brush off the topic by either pretending to ignore me or switch to other topics; I was getting flustered by her evasiveness.

            When dinnertime inched closer, Elena called on my help to make dinner. In truth, when at my grandparents’ house, I never cooked. She let me take charge of cutting the lettuce and whatnot for the salads. At least she gave me an easy task.

            “You know, if you wanted Stefan for dinner, there’s always the option of going out,” I suggested as I was cutting the lettuce on a cutting board. “You don’t need Jeremy and me to hang around. I mean, I don’t want to leave the house so you two can have your dinner date. I still don’t know Mystic Falls well enough. Then again, I’ve only been here a day.”

            “True,” Elena mused. She was washing the small tomatoes in her hand. “But I figured it could be a chance for you two to get to know each other a little better. You really didn’t bond earlier at lunch.”

            “Hey, I’m not outgoing around strangers, even if you know them,” I retorted lightly. I jumped, nearly slicing myself with the knife I was handling. That was the last thing I needed, to harm myself on accident. “Besides, I was eating, and then I got distracted by the pool table.”

            “Speaking of that…that guy seemed odd to me.”

            “Did you see him before he came over?”

            “Yeah. I thought Caroline knew him maybe, but I could tell she didn’t.”

            “She got protective,” I explained. “She went all guard-dog on him.”

            “Well, Caroline is getting better at detecting shifty people.”

            “Is Trevor the one I should be looking out for?”

            “He’s not, but he’s one to take into consideration for that. He may seem friendly, but something about him—I don’t know. I’m with Caroline, I don’t like him.”

            “You and Caroline think alike,” I snorted, shoving the lettuce into a huge bowl, starting on the next few leaves. “I’ll admit he seemed a little too friendly. And he scared the hell out of me, appearing out of nowhere!”

            “Guys tend to do that sometimes.”

            “Is that how you and Stefan met? He snuck up on you at the Grill, commenting on your aiming skills?” I snickered.

            “Ha ha, funny,” Elena snapped evenly. “But no. I noticed him first. I don’t remember exactly how we got talking and ended up together. It’s been a while.”

            “How long is ‘a while’, exactly? Ouch!” I hissed. I hadn’t focused on what I was slicing and slit my palm. I dropped the knife, instantly grabbing my sliced hand.

            “Faith!” Elena cried. Panicking, Elena grabbed a washcloth and wrapped it around my hand. In her eyes, I could tell she was uncomfortable. I never remembered Elena being queasy around blood. Then again, we hadn’t really been around each other long enough for me to really know that.