12. Hush, Hush

12. Hush, Hush

            “What’s bringing this on?” I panted once I ripped my lips away from Damon’s. My heart was fluttering, butterflies bounced in my gut. This was a new sensation for me.

            “You’re asking like you don’t know the answer,” he crooned, giving me a heated kiss. “I know you know it.”

            “You’re in love with me.” The words sounded foreign on my lips.

            “I’d prefer to think of it as you’re in love with me.”

            “I’m not as into you as you think I am. I’m pretty sure you are into me.”

            “Just stop it, Faith. Stop trying to deny what’s here.”

            Now it made sense as to why Damon had popped into my dreams all those times. I had taken a liking to him, he had me interested. The one person who I thought I couldn’t stand was in love with me, and apparently, I shared the same feelings, but I didn’t think about it much. Well, how could I with everything that had happened recently around me?

            “I never thought there was a soft side to you.” I chuckled. “A protective side, yeah, but not a sensitive side.”

            “I didn’t think I had one until I met you. You have no idea of the effect you have on me.”

            “I’m just a human to you, though,” I whimpered. “A play toy.” I winced.

            “Not anymore.” He gave me a dizzying kiss which made me sway dangerously.

            Up close, I could see Damon’s eyes turn strange. The whites of his eyes were turning a scary red, and there were some lines going under his eyes. I swallowed, having no idea what to do. I swore I saw fangs poke out as he exposed his teeth. I whimpered. When was the last time this vampire fed on anybody?

            “Damon,” I squeaked, my voice unusually high. “Take it easy. You can fight it.” Gingerly, I grabbed his face. “Breathe. Relax. Come on, it’ll help.” Maybe, I thought hopefully.

            It wasn’t working. Damon was making an effort to fight his hunger off, but he was slowly losing. I closed my eyes. What did I think I could accomplish by trying to convince a hungry—thirsty, whichever the correct term was—vampire to avoid temptation? There was no way to avoid it; I was going to be his next meal. Whether or not I gave myself willingly to him, I was going to end up being bitten by him.

            Well, this was going to be a short romance between us—if that’s what this was even considered.

            “Go ahead,” I said softly. I dropped my hands from his face but still kept my face close to his. “Do it. Bite me. I won’t run, I won’t scream.”

            “What?” That snapped Damon out of his extreme hunger mode. The whites of his eyes were white again, those lines under his eyes disappeared. “You’re willing to let me feed off of you?”

            “Hey, if I were you, I’d be thankful that you have a willing donor,” I snapped lightly. “I bet you don’t get many of those. This will be a onetime deal, got it?”

            “You’re being stupid.”

            “Excuse me?”

            “You’re willing to give yourself to a monster that could easily kill you!”