1. My New Home

1. My New Home

This was going to do me some good, I could just feel it. I needed this, I needed change. I needed to be away from home. Home…

Don’t think about home right now, I scolded myself as I kept my eyes on the endless highway in front of me. You’re not going home; you’re moving somewhere far away from home…well, not really far away. It was true, I wasn’t really moving far away from home. Really, it was about an hour or two drive to Virginia from Maryland.

Maryland had been my home for almost nineteen years. It had always seemed like a nice, harmless place, especially where I lived. Neighbors were friendly, so you didn’t have to worry about them keeping dark secrets from you or anything.

At least that’s what Maryland felt like to me for only fourteen years of my life. The last four years hadn’t felt so nice. The memory was too painful to be brought up again. For the sake of my sanity, safety, and others’ safety in other cars around me, I didn’t dare recall the memory. I could think about it when I’d get to Elena’s place.

I looked at the clock in my car. It read 3:25 pm. I had left around one, so I had to be getting off the highway soon and into a little town named Mystic Falls. That’s where my new home was now. I was going to be living with my cousin, Elena Gilbert. She never mentioned if Jeremy, her younger brother, was still living there with her. He probably was, she just probably forgot to mention him. I didn’t remember her mentioning Aunt Jenna either.

I tuned out the music that was playing in the car as I entered Virginia. This was going to be different. The residents in the state probably had an accent; I wouldn’t be able to adjust. It was okay if I heard the accent from one person, that’s how it had been in high school before I graduated—not being able to adjust. I wasn’t sure how I managed to get myself out of the house every day since that traumatic day back in freshman year. Graduating high school in light of the horrible event seemed like quite an accomplishment.

Once I was finally off the seemingly endless highway, fast food places, hotels, and gas stations were all over the place. As tiring as driving was, I couldn’t stop at a hotel. I had made prior arrangements, and I wasn’t about to turn them down. After all, how often was it that I got the chance to stay with my cousin who felt like a long lost sister to me?

Thank God I had the GPS telling me where to go and turn, because if I had a regular map with me, it would’ve taken me another two or three hours just to get to Virginia. I’m very bad at directions. I got that from my dad. Having a bad sense of direction can be hereditary.

As soon as I entered Mystic Falls, I immediately felt the presence of the small town hit me. It was a quaint little town, a perfect place for me. I didn’t need to go to high school anymore. Besides, it was August anyway, but the weather wasn’t exactly cooling off like I wished it would. I knew I’d be with Elena for a long time, so I packed practically my entire closet in my car.

Elena. The last time I saw her was four years ago, not too long after the tragedy happened. All family I knew of came down to support me. That time had been dark for me, and still to this day, I couldn’t thank my family enough for being there for me. I wasn’t sure what I would’ve done if they hadn’t been there for me.

I wondered how things were with Elena; I hadn’t really talked to her after she came to comfort me four years ago. Knowing her, she had probably fit into high school easily. She was that kind of girl who had the looks and personality that attracted lots of people, whether it was from guys wanting to date her or girls wanting to be her best friend. Yes, that how Elena was.