Chapter 2

•••

•••

The Phantom, a large sports bag hanging from her shoulder, opened the large metal doors of an old and abandoned storage near the docks. The place was quite empty. There was only a long table full of paper in the center and a desk with three computers near it. The agent walked over to the table. Three people were sat there. A thirty-looking brunette woman, an old man, and a late twenty years old dark-haired man. The latter was wearing gears and weapons, unlike the two other who were wearing civilian clothes. No guns, no weapons. They were looking quite vulnerable and unable of doing any martial art.

"Ah! Phantom, we were waiting for you. How was the flight to New York?" the old man greeted.

The Phantom noticed a wave in his voice. He was fidgeting nervously with his hands, even slightly trembling. Drops of sweats were dripping slowly from his grey hair. Scared. The Phantom concluded. The woman beside her wasn't extremely different. Even though she was composing herself, she was careful to not meet The Phantom's eyes. The last one looked quite confident on the other hand.

"Let's start the debriefing," The Phantom ordered.

"Yes," the woman said. "I'm Joan Smith and this is Michael O'Brian. We both are scientists under HYDRA,"

"We weren't part of SHIELD. We left Washington after Captain and Black Widow dismantled the organization months ago," O'Brian explained.

"I'm Marcus Stanford. HYDRA agent from Canada," the last one introduced.

The Phantom only nodded, acknowledging them.

"What about the New P.E.S Project?" the Phantom asked. "What is the mission?"

"The original composition of the serum was deadly to most of the subject, but you. So the project was abandoned," Smith started. "But a year ago, the Strike got us some files about a project called "The Advancement of Humanity" stolen from SHIELD,"

"It was linked with the blueprints I stole months ago," The Phantom stated.

"Indeed. We also found out that one of our agents worked on a similar experiment years ago but was then eliminated by SHIELD," O'Brian nodded. "It took us quite some time to understand the functioning and the nature of all the equations and the matter described. But we do now. The matter mentioned in the files- it provides unimaginable capacities to a human being. If we replicate that matter, stabilize it, and inject it into our spies' and agents' system-"

"Then they would become even greater than Captain America himself," Smith said. "This is the New P.E.S Project. Enhancing our agents' capacities and abilities so not even the Avengers will stand in our way. Heros will no longer be obstacles,"

"Then what do we need?" Stanford asked.

"That is where it got a little bit harder. But that it's when you two intervene," O'Brian said as he took a file and placed it in front of the Phantom. He opened it to reveal a picture. It depicted a sort of old canon. The picture seemed old. It was black and white and the corners were quite ripped. "The matter, or Zero Matter or Darkforce, is from another dimension. This is not something we find on Earth. But we can reach it by opening a rift to the Dark Dimension where the Darkforce would come out. To open this rift, we need an atomic bomb,"