Chapter 10

•••

•••

Ellie, dressed in a long royal blue coat and a hat stood near the departure gate of an airport. She checked one last time her ticket before putting it back into its file as she grabbed the handle of her suitcase.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come along?" A brunette woman dressed in a white shirt tucked into a red skirt, all underneath a coat asked with a thick british accent. Ellie chuckled and shook her head.

"I'm sure, Peg," Ellie reassured. "It will be fine. It's just a diplomatic mission in Germany,"

"Diplomatic missions can be dangerous too," Peggy argued back.

"Well, according to the fact I've survive four months as a war prisoner, I can handle that," Ellie joked.

"Regardless, I'll still be reassured if I would be coming,"

"Peggy," Ellie softly said, taking both of her friend's hands. "I know that you think you have to take care of me because I'm Steve's sister, but you don't have to,"

"This is not just that," Peggy truthfully said. "You are my friend. And war may be over, the Nazi ideology is not. They are still supporters in Europe,"

"And as a friend, I'm telling you it's going to be okay," Ellie smiled. "Besides, New York needs you. Show them women are great at doing men's job," she joked making her friend laughed.

Peggy then moved closer to Ellie and embraced her in a warm hug. Ellie gladly hugged her back.

"Be careful," Peggy said.

"I will," Ellie reassured as she broke away.

Saying one last time goodbye to her only true friends she had left, Ellie headed to board the plane.

The flight to Germany was long but Ellie took this time to organize what she would be doing there. After the war, it was imperative to ally and coordinate with overseas military organizations.

The sun was setting when Ellie arrived to Berlin. All she wanted was to take a hot and relaxing shower. So went out of the airport. An agent was waiting for her by a black car. Ellie entered the car to sat on the backseat as the agent that escorted her went to the driver seat. They left the airport to the hotel they would be staying a while.

Ellie was glad to be assigned to that mission. She felt she was continuing Steve's and Bucky's work for liberty. She never thought she would have enlisted as a nurse for war, nor joined the SSR along with Peggy, but after seeing them so determined to fight for what was right, she wanted to do the same thing. They had always inspired her.

But suddenly, her thoughts came to a brutal stop. She felt her body violently jerking on the right as a sharp and strong pain ran through her entire body. It was like the scene was on slow motion. Tiny sharp bits of glass were suspended in the air as the vehicle was rolling over on the side. Her body was being slowly catapulted on the side, following the car's movement. On a few meters, the car rolled and bounced and rolled and bounced until stopping completely. Ellie's ears were filled with a high sicknening sound that muffled everything. It was like being undrrwater. She felt dizzy, numb as hot blood was dripping from her head. Pain was all she felt. But Regardless of that, she managed to step out of the car. She was stumbling, balancing and finally fell on her knees. Her eyes were covered with a thick coat of blur as her head was pounding as if someone was constantly hitting her again and again and again. She pressed her eyes shut, blinked a few times, trying to recover her clear sight but it was useless. Black dots started to cover her sight. The dizziness only strengthened as she felt her head spinning. She felt her body falling on the ground. She thought it was the end but then, she felt lighter. She felt her body being lifted, carried. She tried to looked around, to understand what was going on. But slumberness only consumed her. And as she was loosing consciousness, the last thing she saw was an hydra.