Chapter 8

•••

•••

"She's prepared for this kind of situation," Natasha said, arms crossed over to her chest. "They prepare us for that in the Red Room,"

"What do we do?" Sam asked Steve. "She clearly has no intention to tell us anything. It's like talking to a wall,"

"I know," Steve admitted. "But we need to find a way to make her cooperate. I must find a way to reach out to her,"

"It may be impossible," Bucky suddenly said, catching the attention of everyone.

"Don't be so pessimistic," Sam complained.

"After they realized I started regaining my memories," Bucky continued, ignoring Sam's comment. "I wouldn't be surprised they found a way to prevent that from happening to her,"

"It's a possibility," Natasha agreed. "She wasn't in the US when the events in Washington happened. In months, they could have found something to control her mind,"

"Then we need to find what," Steve said. "Until then, we need to find a way to touch the real Ellie,"

"We surely need to find what she's here for," Natasha pointed out.

"She's not alone," Sam said. "Just before she tried to escape, she was talking to someone through her ear device,"

"She must be the one who stole the atomic bomb, who killed the guards, and who killed Stanford," Natasha said. "And from what Barnes told us, she killed the police officer too. Steve," she called, in a serious tone.

"This is different than with Barnes," Natasha said. "I know she's your sister, but HYDRA indoctrination seemed to be imprinted in her head. Do you really think you can reach out to her?"

"I have to, Nat," Steve said. "She's my sister. I cannot let her down,"

Natasha stared at him a moment before nodding okay. She trusted him.

"Okay," she said. "Sam and I will keep looking for what she's on. You, go talk to her,"

"Thank you," Steve smiled as he stood up to leave for the cells department of the tower.

Bucky, on the other hand, left for the bar and resting room. He was feeling uncomfortable and out of place with all of them. It was quite weird to him even be allowed in the Avengers Tower knowing he tried to kill them all months ago. But Steve behaved nothing happened, just like Natasha. Only Sam was a bit wary of him, which was completely legitimate. But to Bucky, it was all strange. All he knew was fighting and HYDRA. Being out here all by himself was strange. And he still hadn't got all his memory back. He was working on it for months. After his fight with Steve and after saving him from drowning, Bucky never came back to HYDRA. He knew the memory he got back was real. And he knew HYDRA used him, manipulated him. So now, he wanted to find back his old self. All that while living a life of a fugitive. After all, he still had a criminal record. That was why he was so surprised to be allowed in the Avengers Tower knowing his past. But he wouldn't be surprised to know that Steve was keeping his presence here a secret from the police. Even if it was actually the case, staying here was dangerous to Bucky. But he had to stay. For her. He had to bring her back. He had to save her from HYDRA.