Chapter 3

•••

•••

The wind was softly blowing, blowing the blond locks of Steve. The sky was bright blue, covered with a few immaculated clouds. Steve slightly smiled at the weather. He liked that weather. It reminded him of her. Always joyful but quite introverted.

Steve gently placed the bouquet of Penstemon in front of the tomb. As his eyes caugth sight of the engraved name on the grey stone, he caressed every one and each of the black letters. Blue orbs full of nostalgia and regrets, Steve couldn't help his mind to drift off to the heartbreaking memory.

"Do you know where I can find her?" Steve asked.

It had been around a month since he woke up in the twenty firsy century. He was taken care of by SHIELD the time he adapt to the current time. A lot of thing changed since 1944. He had learned his first love, agent Peggy Carter was still alive, unlike his team mates from the howling commando. He was overjoyed knowing he got to see Peggy Agent, even though he assumed she would have built a life without him. But hearing about the death of his old friends, it was more than a shock. Decades passed by but to Steve, it was just a second.

But now that he knew Peggy was still alive, Steve thought they might be a chance she could too.

"Captain," Agent Hill started. Her voice was quiet and gentle. It was as if she was being careful to not hurt him. As if anything could break him, regardless of the fact he was way stronger than average human being. "She, along with Agent Carter, contributed to create SHIELD,"

"And say that she was against Bucky's and I's enlistment," Steve chuckled.

"After your supposed death, she wanted to pursue your work, your fight for liberty. That is why she worked with Agent Carter," Agent Hill informed. Steve couldn't help but smile proudly. Who would have thought she help building a governmental organisation that fought for liberty. The thought wouldn't have crossed his mind before. "But...,"

Steve frowned as Hill's voice trailed off. She paused a seconds. She seemed to be looking for the right words. From time to time, she would open her mouth then close it again, as if she was phrasing and rephrasing her words again. It was starting to make Steve anxious. What Hill knew that he didn't? What happened to her?

"She was choosen to represent the SSR, the precursor organisation of SHIELD, for a diplomatic mission in France, in 1948," Hill said then paused again. "She never came back,"

A lump formed into Steve's throat as his breath got stuck into his lungs. His heart sank deep into his stomach. It was as if his word had just fell apart, destroyed, vanished in a snap of a finger.

"The car... exploded and no corpse had been discovered. Just DNAs," Hill said. "I'm sorry Captain,"

"I'm sorry," Steve breathed. "I wished I could have seen you one last time. It must have been hard for you... I wish I would have found a way to make you know I was still alive... I miss you so much, Ellie,"