Chapter 6

•••

•••

The Phantom was sat on the bed of her room in her apartment. She was listening to the radio that was set on the police frequency. Smith and O'Brian were still working on a way to counter Stark Industries' security system. But, according to them, they were getting closer to find a solution. In a day or two, it must be done. Smith's mind was already set on going back to HYDRA base but The Phantom would rather stay focus on the mission. The Avengers must be even more careful than they were before. Captain America and Black Widow saw her and must have noticed she wasn't the average HYDRA agent. So they must be actively looking for her and for what she was up to. Now, anything could happen.

The Phantom was brought out from her thoughts when she heard her phone ringing. She stood up and answered the call. It was O'Brian. Obviously, the phone was modified so it wouldn't be traceable. HYDRA was very careful to not get caught.

"PHANTOM!" O'Brian exclaimed. "Barnes has been located in Queens!"

"I'm on it," The Phantom said as she hanged up. She should not waste any time. Barnes was a trained spy. The longer The Phantom went to him, the fewer the chances were to get rid of him. And traitors must be killed.

So, quickly, she put on her suit and a long coat to cover it all. She geared up left the apartment taking the fire escape. She was about to act in the daylight, she must be fast but efficient.

The Phantom took her motorbike and drove, following O'Brian's directions not caring about traffic lights. After a few minutes, she finally arrived: the Unisphere of the Stark Expo. The Phantom blended into the crowd, walking among the people. But with all these people, spotting the Winter Soldier would be quite difficult. Having a view from above would help. So The Phantom walked over to a building, headed to the back, and managed to get on the roof. Now she had a full view of the place.

"Where was he?" she asked after activating her ear device.

"Near the Unisphere," O'Brian informed.

The Phantom put her mask on and looked over at the Unisphere. It wasn't crowded but it wasn't empty either. The blonde HYDRA agent carefully observed the place. Kids, parents, sellers, lovers, loners. Then him. Standing in front of the Unisphere, hands shoved in his pockets, he watched the giant metal construction, unaware of the danger. The Phantom took her coat off and set her sniper in place. This time, the Winter Soldier wouldn't leave the place alive. She carefully aimed a vital point. She deeply inhaled, placed her finger on the trigger, and pulled it. But Fate seemed to be fond of the Winter Soldier. The bullet didn't pierce him. A kid ran into him which pushed him out of the way. And now, everyone was aware of a sniper hidden somewhere.

"Damn it," The Phantom cursed as she straightened up. The sniper was useless now, the Winter Soldier knew she was here.

The people were screaming and running everywhere in fear, afraid of getting a bullet through their heads. Now it would be even harder to get to the Winter Soldier. The Phantom stood up and jumped out of the roof.