Chapter 21

Ellie was at a dinner at the edge of the city. Being so caught up with discovering who she was, she had completely forgotten to eat. When she was ready to go back to New York, her stomach made her aware of how empty it was. So here she was, eating an omelet at the most secluded area of the restaurant. Even there, she had to be careful to not be recognized. She had to enjoy her dead status for the few left hours that she as left.

Eating eagerly, Ellie was planning at the same time what she would be doing once she would be back in New York. Now that she had a goal, she had to plan everything in order to complete it. Now she had a mission. A mission she had before never been so thrilled, so eager to accomplish. But first, she had to plan everything beforehand. If she wanted to put HYDRA down to its knees, she needed to get rid of the microchip that was still in the back of her neck. It was off but still working. She couldn't risk them to activate it again and make her their own personal puppet again. She had found her free will back and she was determined to keep it. She would be needed the secret network in New York after all. She just hoped the federal and the Avengers hadn't still arrested them yet.

"We have new information concerning the events of New Orleans," Ellie heard the reporter said on the TV. "All the agents of the anti-freedom organization HYDRA present there had been arrested by the Avengers Captain American, Black Widow, and The Falcon. Their trials will take place in a few weeks as some will be expatriated to their native countries where they would be judged. Only the spy going by the name of the Grim Reaper, and the two scientists O'brian and Smith are still on the run. All the police and federal forces are mobilized to look for them,"

A small smirk appeared on the super spy's lips. So O'brian, Smith, and the Grim Reaper were still out there. She felt joyful, unusually cheery. She wasn't expecting this but now she had another step to add to her plan. She hoped neither of the three would be arrested. Because she wanted to be the one to stop them.

"As usual, Cap is still there to save the day," the woman owning the dinner said. "We're so lucky to have him and the Avengers,"

"Damn right," a man at the bar agreed. "Who knows what would have happened if they wouldn't have been there to stop them. And it sure would be a relief to Cap. He fought HYDRA his whole life and now they are close to their end,"

"You think he is after them?" the owner asked.

"100% sure," the man continued. "HYDRA killed his best friend and sister. Stopping them must be what keeps him going. It must be what's not making him fall into insanity,"

"HYDRA killed Elizabeth Rogers?" the woman asked in disbelief. "I thought she died in a car accident in Germany?"

"I don't believe this. Just after she landed in Germany, she died. It wasn't a coincidence. I'm sure it was HYDRA. To get some sense of revenge because Cap beat them," the man said.

To the woman, the man must be believing in some sort of complot. But he didn't even know how right he was. HYDRA destroyed her life. They wanted revenge on Steve. Now it was her turn. She wanted to revenge on HYDRA. She had briefly considered the idea of letting the Avengers handling HYDRA. But after everything they had done to her, she would sleep better if she put a bullet through the Grim Reaper's head.

Ellie stood up and left some cash on the table. She left the dinner.

Ellie passed some old gates. The place was silent. It was calm, peaceful. There was no one. There were never many people actually. Nobody wanted to disturb the peaceful rest of the deads. The Rogers girl walked in the cemetery, passing past tombstones. Some were decorated with flowers, others were dusty. It was strange to Ellie to even walk here. She had never walked into a cemetery before. And seeing the flowers on the tombstones, she knew the families of the people buried here must be visiting them a lot, talking to them to confide or feel a connection with them even if they were not part of the living world anymore. Ellie wondered it was the same for all the people she had killed. She wondered if their families pay them a visit, wondered what had happened to their beloved loved one. They must all be mourning their death. All because of her.

The Rogers girl walked still until she found what she was looking for. Three tombstones were aligned. The first one said:

JOSEPH ROGERS

(1890 - 1919)

BELOVED HUSBAND, FATHER, AND SOLDIER

The middle one said:

SARAH ROGERS

(1893 - 1936)

BELOVED WIFE AND MOTHER

And the last one was slightly different in the style. But what caught Ellie's eyes was what was written on the stone:

ELIZABETH MARIE ROGERS

(1919 - 1948)

BELOVED DAUGHTER, SISTER, AND FRIEND

It was strange for Ellie to see her own tombstone. It was a weird feeling she couldn't describe. A mixture of anger and sadness maybe. This tombstone was the proof she lived. It was the proof she had a life. It was there, next to her parents. It was a proof she had a family. She was a Rogers. There was no doubts anymore. No room for it.

The saddest part was that Peggy, who was her only real friend at the time, had to burry an empty coffin. There was no one six feet under this tombstone. No corpse, nothing. And Steve had to visit an empty tombstone. To him, to Peggy, Ellie didn't even have a proper burrial. And Steve had to live knowing he would never find the corpse of his sister. Again. She couldn't be burried. No one was supposed to escape a nuclear explosion.

Ellie crouched down and softly brushed the last date on her tombstone with the tips of her figers. 1948. When everything stopped and everything began. It was her date of death. The date of death of her old self. Of the Ellie who studied medecine, who enlisted as an nurse war, and who joined the SSR. It was the date of death of the Ellie who grew up in Brooklyn, who grew up with her dear brother Steve and best friend Bucky, who aspired of so much. But it was also the date of birth of an super spy, of an assassin, of killer, of a murder, of a brainwashed killing machine. It was the date of birth of HYDRA's puppet. It was the date of birth of the part of her Ellie hated the most. But that she could not supress. She had to live with it. But she didn't want to. She had no choice. The choice had been imposed to her. By HYDRA. It was all their fault. All the pain, suffering, sorrow, and hurt she had caused and that she was feeling, it was all because of them. And Ellie would not let that go unpunished. They had created her. And they would regret it. She was feeling empty before. With no goal, no purpose. But that emptiness was slowly being filled with anger, madness, fury, warth. HYDRA will pay.