29

19 years ago
Orphanage

That was the day he changed. He was already cold, indifferent to others, and he didn't have empathy, sympathy, and most of his psychological issues with the trauma he had going on for him, he changed more that day. For her, he would be different. His cold heart would melt for her.

As he followed her he saw her crying and throwing a tantrum as she climbed the staircase. He wanted her to learn since this was the first time she climbed all that by herself. He silently ran behind her so he would be close to her just in case she fell. And when she did he caught her.

It was going to be like this from now onwards. He will be there always to protect her but he will not spoil her in a way she wouldn't be able to grow up properly. But he would always be there if she ever needed him.

Back in the room she was on the floor still crying.

"Is your eyes red cuz your dying" she cried some more.

"Nooo," he said bluntly as he lied down on his bed and picked up a book that he took from the library and started reading. The kind of books he liked to read was not in the community library. He was smart for his age. Sadly no one knew that since they labelled him as a delinquent and he eventually became a delinquent too. But he still loved to read. He didn't have money for a library membership card in the city library, so tool them without paying and then put the book back later. The book he was reading right now was a high school level book. He was a genius who was hidden since he is ignored by society.

"Then what's happening," she asked with big wet eyes that made her look like a puppy and wobbly lips.

"Nothing, go play." He sighed. He usually doesn't t talk to anyone. He ignores everyone. Some would say she and another boy in his school were the only ones he speaks to more than three words.

"Tell meeeeeee" she bugged him now.

He sighed. He might be acting cold but he enjoys her childishness.

She got up from the floor and climbed on the single bed. "Tell meeee" she cried some more...

"Rosa" he called out calmly without looking away from his book.

"Yeah" she answered innocently.

"Next time wait til either me or one of the older girls helps you climb the staircase kay" he said in a calm tone.

She thought about his tone and everything. Even she knew that he was ordering her. She understood it was for her best so she just agreed with him in a baby voice. "Kayyyyyy"

A small smile appeared on his lips. He hid his smile behind his book. One thing Damien didn't understand was why anyone would abandon a sweet thing like Rosalie.

"Also Rosa" he called out again.

"Yeah" she answered obediently.

"Who am I to you?" He asked peeping from his book this time.

This was easy. Rosalie already figured it out today.

"My family and home" She cried childishly hugging him bumping his book aside.

He too hugged her tightly and replied, "don't you forget that Rosa"

He felt so satisfied hearing that. He wanted to hear this over and over again. The happiness he felt when he heard this was a moment he thought of at least once a day for the next 19 years. It was way for him since he had Hyperthymesia. When he remembers everything in his life it was a blessing and a curse. It ruined him cuz his life was shit most of the time. Then again a blessing because he remembers his best memories too. Even though they are a little, it was of his Rosa. These memories keep him sane.

Back to the present day

"You are home" he replied, thinking back to the memory that keeps him sane. She wasn't supposed to forget that.

"No don't be sill-"

He squeezed her tightly coldly said, "Rosa you are Home"

Rosalie realized something was wrong so she stopped struggling. His words had a huge effect on her. She knew deep in her heart he felt like home but at that moment her pride and embarrassment were outshining her deep emotions.

But when he spoke to her in that tone her deepest parts of her calmed down. Her memories might be hazy but her body did not forget him.

So they stayed that way wrapped in others' mess of themselves, one already insane and the other going insane with dealing with lost memories and newfound emotions.