Confessions Of An Obsessed Ex-Best Friend

POV: After Maze and Kass start dating.
Declan: "So are you guys ok now?"
Maze: "We aren't friends anymore."
Declan: "Oh I'm sorry to hear that—"
Maze: "We're dating 😌"
Declan: 😒

________

Kass' truck pulled up along the shoulder of the road.

In Maze's panic, she wound up hiding behind the passenger's side, her feet in the grassy ditch, crouched down and out of sight. With Kass' truck in front of her, she saw the moment Bryan hopped out of the passenger's side, caught sight of her, and gestured in a what-the-actual-fuck-are-you-doing way.

Maze threw her hands to the side, eyes wide and mortified as if to say, "I don't fucking know! Help me!"

A pair of footsteps crossed the road, crunching against the grit on the asphalt. "Hey, how's it goin'," Kass said, and Maze just about died.

Had she heard Kass on the street, she never would have recognized her. A lot changes in four years, she thought, because even in the two brief moments she saw Kass since then, Kass hadn't said a word.

Maze turned just enough to peer through the passenger window and see Willa smile and give Kass a side-hug. All Maze could see of Kass was the back of an aviator jacket obscured by a long blonde ponytail.

Maze ducked back down the instant Kass turned towards the Corvette. She didn't even get a look at Kass' face, but that was definitely her.

Shit. Shitshitshit

Kass slapped her hands together. Maze flinched, grimacing at how close that sounded. "Alright, let's see what we can do—"

"Wait," Bryan said, standing between Kass and the hood. Maze crawled towards the trunk. "I just—I want to take a look at what you brought. My dad'll probably be able to tell if—"

"If your old man just got the spark plugs replaced, they're probably gapped wrong. Didn't bring anything new."

The hood creaked as it was lifted. Maze crept around the back tires, peering over the trunk. Kass' face was out of view, until the moment she leant back on her left heel, hip cocked.

And then, her sharp eyes hooked directly on Maze.

Maze was still half-crouched behind the car.

They stared at each other in absolute silence.

Maze popped up. "H-Hey, Kass... It's, uh—it's been a while—shit." She backed into Josie. Josie steadied her as heat flooded to her ears when Kass went on staring.

Willa awkwardly cleared her throat. Kass glanced back at the Corvette and, just once, half-looked in Maze's direction to say, "Yeah, sure," before turning back to Bryan. "I've got it covered. Give me half an hour max."

"Yeah, sure," Bryan said, and Kass walked off to the back of her truck without addressing the awkward tension of Maze and Josie hanging onto each other for dear life.

Josie clapped her on the back, shocking her back into gear. "Hey, you good?" she whispered.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she whispered back, because if she spoke any louder, her voice would surely crack.

When it appeared no one had moved by the time Kass turned back around with her toolbox, Kass' steps stuttered. It felt like someone had Maze's esophagus in a chokehold when Kass' sharp golden eyes glared them down and skimmed right over her. 

Kass cursed under her breath, shaking her head as she marched forward and said, "This ain't a show, you idiots. Don't mind me."

Willa clapped her hands and it sounded like thunder. Maze jumped. "You heard the woman!"