Milkshake For Two

Maze thought her heart might give out, not necessarily out of fear or anxiety over the race, but mostly because have you ever seen anything so beautiful in your entire goddamn pathetic life?! A 1971 Corvette pitted up against an Aston Martin in flawless condition. Was it getting hot in here, or was it just her? No one? Really?

Okay, perhaps it was just her.

"I think I'm gonna pass out," Maze said, pacing the railing.

Grace, who was still drunk from pregaming at the bonfire, came up to her for a hug and pet her hair. Maze swayed with her like the world definitely wasn't ending, but their moment was promptly dashed by Kass throwing something at them and saying, "Quit teaching Maisy how to manifest—it's dangerous."

"We're just vibing," Grace insisted.

They watch the drivers mingle near the gate as the prize money is divvied up. Declan was in a tizzy, both thrilled and thoroughly pissed at Bryan for not letting them follow the plan. Maze smiled weakly because, at the very least, Vincent's Corvette had come through for them and Bryan knew just how to handle it after years of experience.

So of course it was only natural that they took the pot home.

Maze bristled when, out of the corner of her eye, she watched Malachi stand. Malachi spared a glance in her direction, hands in the pockets of his sweatpants. Off in the distance, Alfie was shaking Bryan's hand with both of his own like racing McBryan's son was the greatest gift this godforsaken world had ever bestowed upon him.

Malachi offered Maze one light wave before walking off.

"You know that guy?" Grace asked, arms still around Maze's shoulders.

"Not really," she confessed. She sighed and, just a second later, she was smiling again. She hooked her hands under Grace's arms, lifted them off, and spun them both. "What was that about manifesting?"

They danced like two old folks at a polka party (drunken Grace's version of "manifesting") to celebrate the win while they waited for Bryan. And, with Grace too drunk to drive the Tesla, Willa took the keys, which left one crucial seat empty: Kass' passenger seat.

She would never let me in her truck, Maze reminded herself as the seconds passed while she watched Kass walk far ahead of the rest of the group through the dark, deserted parking lot.

She swallowed hard, looking back at Bryan as her friend chatted with Declan over the figurative gold metal his father's Corvette won. Bryan paused to look at Maze, and the conversation they shared on the drive up resonated between them. Bryan nodded his head in the direction of Kass' pickup.

Maze's heart lurched to her throat. She couldn't—! Kass would just tell her to ride with Bryan even if she managed to ask.

Bryan nudged Declan and whispered something in his ear. Maze paused at the Corvette's bumper, eyes on her friends. Declan gave Bryan a thumbs up and proceeded to jog his way around the pickup. Maze watched him go, his short brunette hair bouncing until he lunged to a halt in front of Kass' open driver's-side door.

"Hey, I was just wondering when's a good time to meet up—" He dropped the pitch of his voice as Bryan gestured for Maze to circle around to the other side of the pickup, away from the driver's side, and away from the Corvette. And then, he gestured to himself. On my mark.

Maze ducked behind the pickup, out of view, as Declan and Kass chatted in low tones. Maze peered over the lip of the truck bed as Bryan ducked into the driver's seat.

When the engine fired up, Maze gripped the ledge of the truck bed. She hooked a foot on the back tire and, when Bryan revved the engine, Kass' attention was already facing away thanks to her chat with Declan.