When The Intrusive Thoughts Hit And You're Not Strong Enough To Ignore Them

When morning came, Maze could be found bringing a pot of coffee up from the diner kitchen and delivering it to her mom, who was sitting half-asleep in the living room. Maze grabbed her overnight bag from beside the couch, slung it over one shoulder, and twisted on the cap of a travel mug to store her coffee.

"When will you be back?" her ma asked.

Maze leant over the back of the couch to kiss her bun.

"Sunday. Brielle and I worked out the schedule, so you don't have to worry about that."

"Oh, good," she sighed. Sundays had busy mornings and slow evenings, so if anything, they might be back in time to relieve some of their co-workers after the lunch rush.

Her phone buzzed. The photo at Brielle's pool blinked to life. She scrambled for it on the counter and answered with a breathless, "Hey, almost ready."

"Hurry up, nerd," Kass said and promptly hung up.

Maze lowered her phone, the flare in her chest burning ever brighter. Was it hot in here? Oh, certainly, because the day was due to be pushing ninety and Maze could feel the humidity suffocating her already.

She pocketed her phone, her keys, and wallet before hurrying to the door. "Bye, ma! I'll text you when we get there!"

"Drive safe! Love you!" she said, and she dittoed her as she shut the door behind her.

Maze clamoured down the wooden steps that ran along the back of the diner. Kass' truck was in the lot. Kass was standing beside it, a bottle of water in hand. She put it to her lips, golden eyes following Maze as Maze's eyes followed the very clear path down to the bare expanse of Kass' toned abdomen.

Why isn't she wearing a shirt?! Maze wanted to scream, but there was nothing new there. It was a classic midwestern summer morning, and if she knew anything about that, it was the tendency for Kass to disregard the No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service policy.

Sports bras were acceptable.

Kassandra took a long sip of water and watched Maze slide her overnight bag up alongside Kass' in the back of the truck.

Maze hopped over the side of the truck bed and landed beside Kass.

"Hey," Kass said.

"Hey," Maze said.

Kass scoffed. "Lovely weather we're having."

Maze would have shoved her in the arm if Kass wasn't so... shirtless. She curled her hand into a fist mid-air dropped it as she said, "I... wouldn't call it 'lovely'. Ready to head out?"

Kass spun the cap back onto the bottle and tossed it through the open window of her truck. "I've been ready. Get in—mind the towel."

Kass had beach towels strewn over the leather seats so they wouldn't soak up the sun. Maze folded her's up and, as Kass put the truck into drive, Maze studied the fabric and the frayed hem. The colors were faded but familiar.

She unfolded it just to see.

"Didn't my mom get you this for your birthday?" she said.

"Fuck yeah, she did," Kass said, her eyes on the road. "I only own two beach towels. Used to be one but then I stole that from the hag's place."

Maze laughed, marveling at the time capsule. It was a superhero-themed beach towel with the American flag colors and everything. When the Lyons used to own a swimming pool, Mitsuki would keep a basket of towels near the door, which Maze and Kass would battle over for custody of the hero towel.