Chapter 16

Silence. Complete and utter silence. Unexpected, albeit not unwelcome. A silence before the storm you could say. When the two shifters had begun their battle, ravaging the interior of wall Sina and destroying many buildings in the process, they never expected a single human being to make them go dead-silent and stand still. That is if you could even consider said human being a human being. His power was unmatched, limitless. Human beings were absolute predators, and if an even stranger being—an being that would become their predator would suddenly appear they would adapt, learn its weaknesses, and kill it. Just look at the Titans. Humanity might be on the brink of extinction, but they have killed more Titans than they would have done hundred years ago.

But now with a new means of victory on their side, something they had presumed to be lost mere minutes ago, they could finally turn the tide and defeat the demons knocking at their door.

"Well, look who decided to show up." Levi said, crossing his arms and letting out a soft breath of what strangers could only note was relief. In actuality it was indeed relief. Saitama was still alive and kicking. Speaking of kicking. "Oi, baldy, make sure you actually finish her off!" Levi shouted at Saitama, who was standing between two fifteen-meter class Titan shifters ready to continue their fight at any moment.

"Captain." Armin began. "We should concentrate our forces to take out Annie. With our combined attacks she shouldn't be able to take us all out. If we can get Eren to come to his senses we can have him pin her down so we can cut her out-."

"Arlert." Levi cut him off, shifting his gaze towards him. "Obviously you seem to have forgotten who is standing between those two. We're talking about a man who defies all logic and common sense. He doesn't need our help." Levi turned around and addressed his troops. "Everyone, stay clear of the area. Let Saitama handle them while we concentrate on finding any survivors."

Olou came walking towards his Captain, his hands covered in the blood of Petra. "Sir, Petra's condition isn't getting any better. We need to get her to a field hospital right away. She probably has broken her ribs and at least a heavy concussion. My gear is broken... but yours isn't. Captain, please take her to a doctor. I... I don't want to lose her, sir." He looked down at the floor and balled his hand into fists. "If only I had been faster, then I could have done something to stop her from getting hurt. If only I hadn't been so clumsy, she would have still been unharmed."

"And you would have been dead." Levi retorted, shaking his head slightly before patting the man on his shoulder. "You did good out there, but now I need you to do better. Get yourself to safety, take a ride on Hanji's back for all I care." A quick glare at Hanji made her think twice before speaking out for herself. "Arlert, Ackerman take Petra to a hospital right away. I will stay behind to... observe."

'You mean double-team Annie again.' Mikasa thought, glancing back to see Saitama looking up at Eren. 'Do me a favor and take her down for good, Eren. I don't care how you do it and I don't care who does it," she focused her attention on Saitama. 'Just take her down once and for all. Make her pay for all that she has done to us—to humanity.' She closed her eyes and let out a sigh of mild annoyance. "Looks like I'm going to have to depend on baldy to keep Eren safe." She looked at Armin, who could only look back at her with eyes filled with determination.

"He won't fail us. Both of them won't." Armin reencouraged her, holding Mikasa's hands into his own. "Come on, we have to get her to a doctor right away." He said, moving over to Petra who was being looked over by two soldiers. "Okay just... put her on my back and—Mikasa, what are you doing?!"

Armin stared at Mikasa in shock when she picked up Petra and in one swift movement placed her on her back. Folding the girl's arms in a cross in front of her neck, Mikasa made sure she was strapped on safely before taking off, Armin following her seconds later. The rest of the Survey Corps soldiers all stared at the scene that was about to unfold before their very eyes. A human versus a Titan. Man, versus Demon.