Chapter Six / The Kegger

Despite Pope's many protests, it was decided that the Pogues were to go back and search the boat

"Stupid things have good outcomes all the time," said JJ, holding up the stack of money, "All we need to do is figure out a way to get into the cargo hold of that wreck. Until then, we just lay low. Just act normal." Pope had refrained from rolling his eyes. "Right. And how exactly do we do that?" 

✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧

"Chug it! Chug it!" Liv rolled her eyes at the girl who stood chanting, tipsy after her 2nd beer. Lightweight, she thought to herself. At least wait until it gets darker out to get wasted. 

It was impossible to understand the Outer Banks without understanding the boneyard. As the Routledge siblings liked to say, it was kinda like a three-layer burrito. 

First, there was them and their friends, the working-class derelicts. 

Then, the Kooks, the rich second-homers. Mostly from poncey-ass boarding schools, just rich trustafarian posers. Their natural enemies.

Lastly, the Tourons. Totally clueless. There for a week on vacation with their families. Chum for the sharks.

As much as she loved to drink with her friends, Liv wasn't the biggest fan of keggers. She'd much rather have the boneyard to herself. Well, including the Pogues of course. But this was necessary. What better way to lay low than throw a party?

The brunette sat on a broken off tree branch, her back to the party. With her friends busy talking to unsuspecting Tourons, she had settled down to watch the sunset. 

"Feeling moody, are we?" She turned to her right to see JJ, a smile on his face and two beers in his hands. "Not moody Jay," she smiled back, "just all on my lonesome." The girl placed the back of her hand on her forehead dramatically. "Kie is talking about zodiac signs, John B is doing some bad flirting, and Pope is ruining just about all his chances at a girlfriend by talking about death." She looked over at the blond next to her. "And I just figured you would be busy hooking up with someone." 

The boy gasped in mock offence. "A man doesn't screw and tell." Liv bit her tongue, keeping her thoughts to herself. JJ would absolutely screw and tell, there was no doubt about it. He was confident in himself, his skills, and his ability to get pretty much any girl he wanted. He certainly would have admitted if he was with a girl, but he hadn't. And that meant he had actually come over to spend time with her. A blush covered her cheeks. She shoved her elbow into his side, hoping he hadn't noticed the rosiness of her face. "You would totally screw and tell, you whore." 

The blond raised his brows at her. "Ouch short stack, I was actually about to offer you a beer, but forget it." Of course, he wasn't offended. The two bantered back and forth like children, name calling included. But still, he rose up and started marching down the sand. The girls gaze followed him, eyes landing on his target. Muttering to herself, she jumped up to follow him.