Chapter Twenty-Four / Miracles

The Pogues all suspected it was only a matter of time until JJ Maybank wound up in jail, himself included. They just hadn't expected it to be so soon. 

✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧

Deputy Shoupe marched JJ into a cell, the girl watching from the sidelines with nowhere to run. Her heart ached as she watched the boy accept his fate, putting up no fight. From inside the cell he watched her walk away, hoping she would understand that he wouldn't let her go. Not that easy. 

✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧

"Olivia Mae Routledge," Shoupe read off a piece of paper as though he didn't already know her name, "knew it was only a matter of time till I saw you." Nervous under his gaze, the girl fiddled with the bracelets around her wrist. "Care to tell me where that brother of yours is? If we can find him, we might even get y'all in the same home."

She swallowed down the sob fighting it's way out, determined not to let the officer know she was upset. "I don't know."

He blinked, unsatisfied with her answer. "Come on now." 

"I don't know." The truth was she hadn't seen or heard from her brother since they ran away from DCS the other day. The officer stared at her, doing his best to decipher the truth. 

"You understand what's going to happen now, don't ya? You got no parents or guardians. You're going to a foster home, and that's exactly what's gonna prevent you from ending up like your pal over there." The jerk of his head motioned towards the hallway where JJ sat in a cell, locked up like some sort of prisoner. 

Liv scowled. "JJ didn't do anything wrong." 

"He sank a boat, kid. He sure as hell did do something wrong."

"Those Kooks deserved it. They're assholes. They beat Pope up and they- and Rafe-" 

She cut herself off as the door to Shoupe's office swung open. Sheriff Peterkin walked in, sizing the girl up where she sat curled up in the uncomfortable wooden chair across from the desk. For a moment, the Liv found herself thinking the worst-her brother was somehow gone for good. Then Peterkin offered her a hand and pulled her to her feet.

"Let's have a chat."

✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧

Sheriff Peterkin had always had a soft spot for the Routledge kids. Not only had the woman watched them grow up, she had taken it upon herself to keep an eye on them once big John was gone. Perhaps it was because she never had children of her own, perhaps it was because of her profession. Perhaps, there was something special about them. She just didn't know what.

The two women sat in silence as officer Shoupe shuffled out of the room. Hazel eyes met deep brown ones as though issuing a challenge - what could Peterkin have to say that the girl hadn't heard before?

"I've been doing my best," said the woman after a moment, "you know, lookin' out for you and your brother."

Liv shrugged, feeling defensive. "Nobody asked you to do that." She paused and looked at the older woman in front of her who had, actually, been there to check in on the kids a lot since their dad passed. "Sorry."

Peterkin nodded. "I know. Now I'm gonna need you to be honest with me. Are you, or are you not, still after the Royal Merchant?"

"N-no!" The girl uttered. "No." Peterkin raised a brow. "You sure about that? Because these two seemed to be-" she slid a photo across the desk to Liv, "-and now look at 'em."

The girls stomach churned at the sight of the torn up men, and she quickly looked away. 

"Please don't-"

"You need to quit while you're ahead, sweetheart, or you and your brother might be next." The woman was cut off by a knock at the door. "Excuse me."

Excusing herself, Peterkin stepped out of the office to speak to an irritated looking Shoupe. Inside the office, Liv sat and let her eyes wander, processing what might be coming next.

She wanted to kick herself. Peterkin had actually been a decent help to her and her brother, but they hadn't reciprocated it. If they had, there was a chance they wouldn't even be in this situation. 

The office was prim and proper, save for the image of two torn up men sitting on the face of the desk. Flipping the folder closed so she couldn't see it any more, Liv tugged her phone out of her back pocket. 

Nothing. 

It didn't surprise her, really. Power on the cut still wasn't back and it would be that way for a while. Not only that, but the service lines were all knocked down and frankly, she was probably behind on her phone bill anyway. Still, she found herself searching for a message from her brother. Was this it? DCS clearly wouldn't fall for her tricks again, and that meant one thing. They'd probably be taking her today. She doubted they would give her a chance to speak to the boy, plus he had no means of contact with the lines down. Liv only hoped that if they couldn't be together he could at least stay at the Chateau.

"It's your lucky day."

Peterkin came strolling back into the room, Shoupe grumbling to himself as he walked away from the woman. 

"What?" Liv stared at her incredulously. There was no way she was this lucky. No way DCS would allow her the chance to escape again, and that meant-

"Bobby Heyward has offered to be your guardian."

The girl choked on her spit. "He- he has?" She knew the man was fond of her, she wasn't always a trouble maker like her brother and JJ, just along for the ride. Still, she couldn't have expected him to be that generous. 

Peterkin nodded. "Now I have no idea what that means for your brother. You ask me, he'd be a fool not to come outta whatever hole he's hiding in and beg Heyward to give him the same chance. But that's not my choice." She looked pointedly at the girl. "You don't screw this up now. That means no fights, nothing illegal, and you better quit lookin' for that damn Royal Merchant, you got it?"

Liv gulped. There was no way she wasn't going to take this chance. 

"I've got it."

✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧

"I can't even explain how amazing you are, sir, thank you." Trailing along behind Heyward and Pope, Liv followed them into their home. "I seriously owe you my life."

The man chuckled. "You're a good kid, Olivia. And you're friends with my boy, so I know you must be a decent person." He patted Pope on the back, the boy shooting his friend a small smile. "I ain't gonna act like your dad. I know I ain't him, can't replace him. I'm here so you can stick with your friends and get through highschool without being shipped off to the mainland. You do what you want, but you stay outta trouble 'cause then you'll have to answer to me. Deal?"

"Deal." 

He slapped her on the back, a smile covering his face. "And you can start earning your keep tonight."