Chapter Eighteen / His Old Man

Liv and JJ hid up top an old boat that sat in the junkyard, barking coming from below

Liv and JJ hid up top an old boat that sat in the junkyard, barking coming from below. "You better hope that damn dog doesn't knock the ladder down." The girl spoke with an edge in her voice, not thrilled by the situation they were in. 

He shrugged. "Worse places to be stuck." 

Liv scoffed, her eyes narrowing. "You sure about that? 'Cause from what I've seen today, you're real unhappy to be around me." She paused. "You finally realized all that shit I said out back of Heyward's shop was true, huh?" 

Self deprecation was a bad habit of hers, one that the struck a nerve with the blond. He had grown up with his father telling him he was worthless, and wouldn't stand to hear her talking like that about herself. 

"Look," he ran a hand through his unruly hair, "what happened at Heyward's was a mistake. No Pogue on Pogue macking, remember? Your brother would kill me." He sighed. "It has nothing to do with you. You're fine, princess."

A little part of the girls heart settled at his words, though she swore she could feel it breaking also.

 In the distance JJ noticed Kie speeding away in her parents car, and he elbowed Liv in the side before she could say anything. He had good timing. 

"Whoever's up there better come on out!" The two teens shared a look at the sound of a voice from below, barely heard over the barking from the german shepherd. "I mean it! Don't make me go up there and get your ass!" The blond shifted, shrugging off the girls hand when she tried to stop him from standing. She held her breath.

"Wait, Bobby! Don't shoot!" Slowly, he stood, hands in the surrender position. "It's me, JJ. Luke's kid?" He shifted his head to the side, motioning for the girl to stand up next to him. She did, hands shaking slightly at the thought of a gun being pointed at them. The burly man squinted up at them, murmuring a sharp "enough" to quiet the dog down. 

"What are you doing?" His eyes landed on Liv. "Who the hell is this?" 

"I swear okay?" Said JJ, "I didn't want to, okay?" He glanced at the brunette. "My old man made me."  Liv took a sharp intake of breath. She knew he was lying so they wouldn't get in trouble, but she also knew how awful the boy's dad really was to him. 

"Don't you lie." Said Bobby, and though lying was exactly what they were doing, she wanted to yell at him. JJ's story wasn't something anyone could just make up. There was still some truth to it. 

"He told me Captain Leo kept his cutting torch. You know, after he got fired. He said if I didn't get it for him, he was gonna... he was gonna hit me again." The boy allowed tears to fill his eyes, looking at the man below him as he continued to speak. "I could handle it, you know? I could handle it but he threatened my girl, and I can't let anything happen to her." 

Liv squeezed the boys hand, hoping to sell the lie. Unknown to each other both of the teens felt their hearts ache slightly, the story about their relationship - though it was fake - coming soon after they'd had their talk about their near kiss and how it couldn't happen. 

Bobby sighed, eyes on the couple, the dogs leash held tight in his hand. 

"Come on down." He paused. "I almost killed you!" JJ sniffled. "I know. I'll just come up with somethin', tell him I couldn't find it." 

"Mm-hm," said Bobby, eyes on the teens linked hands, "all right."

"Sorry." Mumbled JJ, and the two shuffled out of the junkyard, slight smiles on their faces.

✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧

"Hey Kie!" Said Liv, sliding off the dock and into the marsh, "C'mon!" 

The girls blew bubbles, swimming around as the boys watched through the drone camera to make sure it worked. A splash sounded, and much to JJ and Pope's dismay, their view was cut off by John B pretending to clean his teeth. 

"What's this?" JJ reached over Pope's shoulder to press a random button, quickly stopped by the smarter boy. "Don't touch that. I'm trying to work out this thing." The blond retracted his arm. "God bless geeks, Pope. Truly man. What would we do without you to control the drones?" 

"It's not technically a drone. It's an ROV." "Shut up. Shut up." Said JJ, distracted by his friends surfacing. "It's too early for that right now."

"Hey, once we get footage of the wreck, we'll bring it to a lawyer in town and file a formal claim." John B pushed his wet hair out of his face.

"It's such bullshit. Why do we have to do that?" Pope looked at the boy next to him. "Well, there is maritime salvage law. You can't just go to the ocean floor and scoop a bunch of stuff up." 

"I know, I know," responded JJ, "It's just lawyers aren't cheap, bro."

"As soon as they see the footage they'll work for a comp." John B sounded so sure of himself all the Pogues but his sister looked at him questioningly. 

"How do you know all of that?" The Routledge siblings shared a look. 

"'Cause," said Liv, "our dad said it like, a million times."

"That's fair." Said Kie. "The tether is, like, really long. In the wrong weather it could get pushed around."

"Then we go at dead calm." "At slack tide?" John B nodded. "Now we just gotta wait around for the right weather." The crew looked up to the sky, grey clouds rolling in their way. "And today is not that day."

✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧

"You boys get these groceries over to Figure Eight. Get straight back here when you're done. No fishin'." Mr. Heyward's eyes landed on Liv, hovering in the background. "Ladies too." 

"Now," he said, "I promised delivery by this afternoon. Rich folks don't wanna wait for you lazy sons of..." Turning back towards them with hands full of groceries, he found the blond waiting with his arms out. "Oh, JJ, thank you." He finished his sentence anyway. "sons of bitches."

Guys I apologize, this chapter is really not my best, but I had to get back into my writing somehow. Hopefully you got through it ok and my next ones will be better! Stay safe :)