Chapter Twenty-Five / Midsummers

Midsummers

Midsummers. With everything that had been going on, the girl had completely forgotten about it. Specifically, her promise that she'd play Kiara's date for the evening. 

"Are you kidding? I can't be around those insufferable Kooks all alone." Kiara flopped onto her bed dramatically, crumpling up the dress that lay beneath her. 

Liv raised her brow at her friend, trying not to laugh. "I'm sorry, did you miss the part where I said Heyward is literally saving my ass?"

Kie shrugged. "Yeah yeah, I know. But come on, you said you'd be my date. So go with them to help out, but you still have to dress up like me." 

The brunette thought for a moment then nodded, knowing how stubborn her curly haired friend could be. "Fine."

✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧

The girls avoided getting ready for as long as they could, making conversation about anything and everything. When they finally got ready, Liv plopped down on the bed and stared at herself in the mirror. 

"God, I seriously didn't think I'd ever see myself like this. Imagine if John B could see me now."  

Kiara looked at her friend sympathetically. She knew the girl was practically attached to her brother at the hip, and having the DCS scare without knowing where he was certainly didn't make her feel good. "He'll pop up eventually. He always does." 

She nodded gently.

"I know. I just hope it's soon."

✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧

"I don't know what happened to Topper's boat. Quite honestly, I don't want to. You were two seconds away from havin' a different life. You just about killed me. It would have killed your mama. And you know the deal!" Pope followed along as Heyward continued his rant, unloading the truck as they went. "One of these rich kids messes up, they'll still go to college and meet another rich person. Then they'll make more rich kids, who'll also get third and fourth chances."

"I know. I gotta do better. I get it." 

Liv sent Pope a sympathetic smile, doing her best to act like she wasn't really listening. 

"All right?" Heyward continued, "You wanna... spend your whole life grindin' it out like me? I expect better for you, Pope. And you now too." He pointed at Liv. "If either of you end up like me I will consider that a personal failure. So please, keep it in check. At least until you have your scholarship interview. You need to wake the hell up. And you could start by picking better friends." 

 "Don't talk about my friends." It was a rare burst of emotion from Pope, one that had the girl raising her brows. 

"What'd you say?" Heyward ignored his boy, turning instead to the brunette beside him. "Not you, you been stayin' outta trouble. Not sure about that outfit choice though."