Chapter Sixteen / The Findings

John Booker Routledge enjoyed living life on the edge

        John Booker Routledge enjoyed living life on the edge. With his best friends and sister in tow, they vowed to have the best day ever, daily. He wasn't easily excited over simple things; but he couldn't have been any happier when he caught sight of the FedEx envelope Kie passed out to them. 

"That's not gold." Pope's voice dragged on as he passed the envelope over to John B. "Holy shit," said the boy, grabbing his sister by the arm so she could make sure he wasn't seeing things, "This is from our dad." 

A small smile started to form on Kiara's face, the girl glad she hadn't climbed into a tomb for nothing. It disappeared within a moment, though, as the click of JJ's lighter alerted them to a vehicle approaching.  

"Code red. Code red." The boy dropped his smoke, pushing his friends to go and hide. "Square groupers! Square groupers!" 

"Go!" Said Kie, and they rushed to hide behind the side wall of the crypt they had just broken into. "It's the guys who robbed your house." Said JJ, and Liv shuddered. "And chased us down the street."

"Light!" Next to Kie, John B shoved his lantern under his linen shirt in attempt to mask the light. "John B?" 

Behind the wall, Liv could hear the golf cart come to a full stop. "I see something!" A man's voice travelled through the otherwise quiet cemetery, the Pogues sharing looks. 

"Do you think it's them?" Asked Kie, watching as JJ poked his head around the corner. "Homie's got a gun." Reported the boy, the two girls of the group making eye contact. "Screw this."

They took off running, muffled shouts coming from behind them. Liv crossed her fingers as she ran, hoping none of them would get shot. An iron gate stood before them, but they didn't hesitate, yanking themselves up and over. Shorter in stature, the girl struggled to find a foothold to assist her. 

"C'mon sweetheart." A pair of hands braced under her foot, and she allowed JJ to give her a boost up before he followed behind.

"Guys!" Yelled Pope, "Guys!" Four heads turned to see the boy dangling from the gate by his shorts. "Guys, I'm stuck."

"Pope, come on!" As if second nature, JJ reached into his waistband and pulled out the gun, aiming towards the boy-and in turn, the approaching vehicle. 

John B and Liv were on him in an instant, protests leaving their mouths. At the gate, Kiara grabbed ahold of the boy, beginning to tug. 

"You're gonna rip me." Said Pope, panic evident in his voice. "Wait, you're gonna rip me!" 

"You're fine," said Kie, giving him one last tug so he was free from the gate and stuck in his briefs. "Come on!"

Panic replaced by an adrenaline high, the crew ran to the twinkie, laughter lacing their yells. 

"Nice! Come on, dude." Yelled JJ, "It's a little Tootsie Roll!"

✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧