Chapter Twenty-Three / Not Guilty

"I want you to kiss me."

✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧

"I-" The boy choked on his own saliva, his face flushing at her words, "-I'm sorry, you what?"

She blushed, suddenly doubting herself yet forcing the words out once again. "I, uh, I said I wanted you to kiss me. But this is... um... awkward... so never mind."

"No!" JJ cut her off so suddenly and desperately he immediately felt embarrassed, trying to play it cool by clearing his throat. "No, Liv, it's just, well, with everything that's happened, with us... and what happened tonight... don't get me wrong I'm happy to kiss you, but uh... are you sure? Because-"

The moment she heard him say he'd be happy to kiss her, she closed the distance.  Soft lips met chapped ones, moving completely in sync until the boy pulled away. He blinked in shock, not expecting Liv of all people to make the first move. 

"Wow." He let out a soft chuckle at her flushed face, the two of them making eye contact once again. She quickly looked away, her typical self doubt coming back to smack her in the face. Instead, she found herself with butterflies in her stomach as the boy closed the distance once again. 

✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧☽✧☼✧

For the first night in a long time, Olivia Routledge slept without any nightmares. When she awoke, she found herself next to her favourite blond. JJ lay behind her, arms wrapped around her as she curled up as the little spoon. For a few minutes she stayed, finally flipping over when she began to get antsy. To her surprise, the boy was awake too, his blue eyes sparkling. "You're up." She mumbled, stating the obvious. He sent her an adorable grin, watching her long eyelashes flutter as she blinked tiredly. "Sure am, sunshine." 

He gently pecked her cheek and she found herself matching his smile, feeling relieved he didn't seem to regret the night before. "How's about some food?" She scrunched her nose, aware that there was practically nothing to eat in the house. "More dry cereal? No thanks." He shrugged, understanding where she was coming from. "Fair point." The boy paused. "How you feeling, Princess?" 

She shrugged. "I'm okay, Jay. You?" He smiled. "Can't say I disliked waking up next to you."

"So you don't regret it?" 

"The kiss? Princess, no way. I've been wanting to do that for ages, been regretting not doing it outside of Heyward's."

The brunette felt her heart warm at his words. Burying her head in his chest, she allowed herself to embrace his body heat, listening to his slow breaths in and out. After a while, they clambered off the couch and got ready for the day. 

"Gotta cover these stupid marks." Mumbled the girl, snatching her concealer from under the bathroom sink. "Won't freaking fade." JJ stood behind her, watching the reflection in the bathroom mirror.