Honesty

Later that evening, instead of going home we went to watch a movie. It was the first time in months that we had done anything publicly. To my surprise, there were no paparazzi. It was a quite Tuesday night at the theatres. The only other people present were families.

                He had lost all affection from earlier in the day. In fact, the only thing he did was take my hand as we bought the tickets and got our items. Once we were in the dark room, he released my hand. Since lunch, he had barely looked at me. His body language and attitude had been cold.

We sat down to watch the movie. I knew that this was a contract but since we had been sleeping together – there was more to us. We were getting along, and we were talking. It was weird especially because of our circumstance. I just wanted to know what was going through his head because he was different with me. He was warmer and affectionate. I just didn't want to let my guard down. I just couldn't let my guard down.

"Movies over," Alexander muttered in my ear. I had fallen asleep against his shoulder. It had been some action movie that hadn't interested me at all.

          "Sorry," I mumbled to him. He took my hand once we left the dark movie showroom. As soon as we were in the car, Alexander let out a loud sigh.

          "If you don't want to come out, say something." Alexander replied. His eyes were right in front of him. He didn't even glance my way.

          "I did," I cleared my throat, reaching for his arm. "It was an action movie and-"

          "I was hoping that we could do something together," he finally turned to meet my eyes. "You and I barely go out together-"

           "We go out because we have to be pictured together." I snapped back at him. Who was he kidding?

           "Do you see any paparazzi here?" he held out his hand to the building. It was a quiet night. "Normally your family or my dad leak our whereabouts." He rubbed his head in frustration. "I wanted to be with you." He started the car, angrily.

           "Oh," my voice was rather small. "I just thought you wanted to be seen with me since we have a contract,"

           "Jesus Christ, Evangeline!" he took a deep breath. "Not everything is about the contract!" He was gripping the steering wheel tightly. He pulled out of the parking lot and drove us home in silence because I had nothing to say.

When we got to his house, he went straight to his room. I was going to question him but I shrugged it off. He was probably annoyed so it was best to not push it. Instead I had dinner by myself, and went to my room.

The next morning, Alexander barely looked at me. He hadn't gotten upset with me in months and now, I just didn't like it.

         "I didn't mean to upset you," I told him with a sigh. "I just thought that-" I shook my head at the full plate.

         "No, I shouldn't have gotten upset. I thought we could-" he hesitated almost like he was searching for the right words. "Like if we could just hang out without having that contract over our heads," he shook his head at the plate in front of him. "But of course, it is about the contract-" his voice trailed off. His eyes were dark and hooded. There were bags under his eyes. I hadn't slept well either.

          "No, it isn't." I sighed heavily. "I don't want to be disappointed," my voice was small and light.

         "Neither do I," he smiled briefly but his eyes hadn't even met mine. "I got so angry with you because you just seem to care about work, and the fucking contract," he got up abruptly.