June 16, 1974

Dear James,

I don't know why I'm writing this. But I read somewhere that writing letters to someone you can't talk to makes you feel better.

I think that's meant for dead people, but I decided to try and write a letter anyway because I could never talk to you about this.

I don't know how it happened. After all, I've known you my entire childhood, growing up next door. I like to think of those times before we were separated by houses. Sure, it's not like I'm in Slytherin, but you can't deny that Hufflepuff and Gryffindor rarely see each other. But that's not the point.

I'd like to know how it came to the point that I fancied you. 

Honestly, I mean, we're only going into fourth year next year. I don't know how it happened; I think I only realized it when we were hanging out yesterday. 

After all, I feel butterflies whenever we're close and I feel like your smile can immediately make me happy. I think I might laugh too hard at your jokes and blush way too much than in a friendly way when you fake-flirt with me.

I don't think it's love, we're too young for that. 

I'm not sure whether I should tell Paige, you know her. She's my friend from Hufflepuff, really the only one that I can stand being around. You know that I'm not very social, but Paige is probably my only friend other than you. I'm fine with that, though.

You have a lot of friends now, though, don't you? Of course you do. I'd be surprised if you didn't. And honestly, Sirius Black is much more of a better match to your energy than I am.

Anyway, I'm never going to show you this letter or any future ones if I continue, but maybe one day there's a future to this.

From,

Ophelia