III

— XAVI —

"How nice of you to join me, Yakov. I know how busy your schedule can be."

It appears my now twenty-six year old brother hasn't changed one bit, as he greets me with a shake of the hand and ignores my taunting remark.

"How have you been, Xavi?" he asks me. "You look well."

I plaster a bitter smile onto my face when i see the waitress approaching, as does Yakov, and we wait until she has taken our orders before we continue.

"You know i'm not here to make small talk, Yakov."

He sighs, nodding in agreement.

"We're in danger, Xavi," he says. "Naturally, our livelihoods are putting us at risk. But i think there are moles within the business."

"What do you propose?" i ask him.

"That we merge our gangs and become one," he suggests. "We'll be stronger together. And that way, we can monitor everything much more easily."

I sigh, taking a sip of my wine as i evaluate the situation.

As much as i don't want to merge, i know we would all benefit from it.

Not only would we be stronger and be able to handle any 'danger' that comes our way, our profits would increase tenfold.

"And Zephaniah?" i ask him. "Where does he come in?"

"He agrees with the plan," Yakov answers. "Though with him joining us, our individual status would change," he explains. "You would no longer be in control of your gang, nor would i mine. Everything would go back to the way it once was..."

I groan, my jaw clenching as i internally curse my eldest brother.

With him returning as our leader, nothing will be the same. He'll make sure of it.

Not only that, but the drama that would ensue simply isn't worth it.

"I think not!" i snarl. "I have worked extremely hard to get to where i am today. We're either equals, or i'm not doing this."

Yakov's lip twitches with barely hidden amusement, as he eyes my irritated expression.

"You must know that you don't have much of a choice in the matter, Xavi," he says. "If we do not merge, you'll only be making things worse," he points out. "Zephaniah will get what he wants, either way."

I run my hand across the stress lines on my face.

"He's a cunning little bastard, that brother of ours," i seethe.

Yakov laughs, clearly agreeing with my observation.

"He makes more money than the two of us," he points out. "Perhaps that's something you should consider."

"Hm."

He offers me a small, knowing smile, as he raises his glass in gesture.

"It's good to see you, Fratello."

— RORI —