XIV

— QUENTIN —

My sister has just exited the bathroom.

She stuffs her phone into her right pocket and then lazily runs a hand through her curls.

She seems out of sorts, as she looks down at the ground while walking towards us, slightly wobbling when she does so.

I nudge Seamus, who's attention is elsewhere, and, after taking one glance at Rori, we share an identical look of concern.

By now, our friends have already left the cafe.

It has been a total of fifteen minutes since Rori walked off. They insisted on staying but we told them not to. Annalise had even offered to check on her, but Seamus warned her that doing that would only make things worse.

He is silent now, as we wait. Completely indifferent. Wearing a brooding scowl on his face as he looks into her worried eyes. A few weeks ago, he would not be standing here scowling at her. A few weeks ago, he would have been the first one to ask what was wrong. But now, he doesn't say anything at all.

When he does speak to her, i am nervous of how the conversation will go.

Will he say something of use or will he simply ridicule her?

I can never tell.

But he is my twin, and so is Rori, and, therefore, i can't help but feel a little responsible on behalf of both of them. If he makes some snide remark which then offends my sister, i will feel partially responsible for him making her upset.

I may be the youngest in the family but sometimes it really feels like i'm my siblings' baby sitter.

"I need to speak to Quen for a second," Rori tells our brother.

Seamus scoffs and shakes his head at me, and i shrug my shoulders in return.

I feel a little pity for the paranoid boy, who most likely assumes we are plotting against him.

We often make fun of our sister for being so nosy, but clearly it's not just her who feels they constantly have to adhere to one's business.

"Go ahead," his gruff voice suggests that he is giving her permission.

He rolls his eyes, huffing to emphasise his annoyance, while walking over to a couch in the cafe, a miserable look on his face as he pretends to scroll on his phone, no doubt wishing to eavesdrop on our conversation.

I turn to face Rori, raising my eyebrows in question.

"I have to go and meet Zeph," is all she says. "I was hoping you would cover for me?"

Suddenly, her pulling me aside makes sense, as i know she would never rely on Seamus at this moment in time.

"He's with Yakov, remember? Do you even know where they are?" i ask, skeptical of her sudden urgency to see our brother.

"Yes. Don't worry, i'll phone him. Have them meet me," she reassures me, and i nod, albeit begrudgingly.

I sigh, and again look over to where Seamus is sitting.

He is slouched against a cushion, staring at the two of us, but when he notices i'm looking at him, he immediately drops his gaze.