VIII

— QUENTIN —

"It doesn't make a difference whether i'm seven minutes older than you or seven years older than you, you do as i say. You hear me?"

"Get a grip, Seamus. You have no power over me."

Walking into one of the many rooms in Lindsay's home, i immediately recognise the sound of my siblings bickering.

Rori leans into Christian — clearly unable to stand on her own — and my brother stands in front of them, a scolding finger pointed at my sister.

"Relax, Man, she's unstable right now," Christian placates. "Literally."

"That's the point, Chris. I told her and Anna to stick together. I told her not to drink too much. You know what she's like."

My sister releases a humourless laugh and attempts to wriggle out of Christian's hold, which results in the opposite outcome when his grip on her tightens.

"She could've been seriously hurt," Seamus continues, jaw clenched as he shakes his head in frustration. "I'm gonna kill Dylan, if it's the last thing i do. I swear to God."

I approach the three of them, Mikey in tow, and only then do they acknowledge our presence.

"Quenny!" Rori squeals, finally breaking free from Christian's vice grip, as she flings herself at me with open arms.

"Gesù!" i blurt out, gasping for air as her arms wrap around my torso in a tight hug.

"I missed you so much!" she beams, her hazel eyes searching mine. "Did you guys miss me?"

"Of course we did," Mikey cheerily answers, sparing me an amused, yet apologetic, glance.

Seamus rolls his eyes, shaking his head at me.

"Lei è un pezzo di merda!" he snarls. "Prova a trattare con lei per una volta."

"Seamus!"

From my peripheral vision, i see Mikey turn to Christian with a shell-shocked expression. The latter simply shakes his head in such a way that states 'This happens more often than not.'

"No, Quentin, i'm not kidding. I'm sick of her disregarding everything i say; putting herself in danger like that. It's selfish!"

"Calm down, Seamus," i order him, with a meaningful glare.

My brother nods, forcing himself to take in a breath as his gaze shifts to our sister once more, eyes softening when he acknowledges her bewildered state.

"What did she do?" i ask him after a moment's silence.

He sighs, running a hand through his unkempt hair.

"When we walked in, we found Dylan Sanders encouraging her to climb onto the rooftop. Apparently, she really is that stupid that she'd risk dying to complete a dare."

"Where is he?" i growl.

"I let Jason take care of him for now," he says, almost regretfully.

"For now," Christian repeats, as if the words provided consolation.

"Are you guys mad at me?"