IX

— RORI —

Sunday morning has been yet another bad start to the day, as Xavi almost immediately called me into his office to speak with me and me only.

I know exactly what his concern is, of course.

"Come over here, Rori," he orders, as soon as i enter the room.

I close the door behind me before gingerly approaching my brother. Unexpectedly, he hands me a pile of papers.

"Would you mind placing these over there in the filing cabinet for me?"

Wordlessly, i nod, my state evidently frazzled as i struggle to read his expression. Xavi seems to notice this and offers me a small smile but it does nothing to put my mind at ease.

"Take a seat," he orders, once i have put the papers away. "How are you feeling?"

I gulp, instantly feeling smaller as i sit on the chair placed in front of my brother's desk.

"I—i'm feeling fine," i stutter, unsure. "What about yourself?"

If there is a change in his expression, i do not notice.

He simply seems too calm, which says something considering Xavi is usually anything but calm...

"I'm sure you can imagine how i feel, no? Or maybe not, since you don't have the pleasure of being the guardian to your younger siblings but, either way, you know exactly why you're here, don't you?"

I instantly avert my gaze, my hand finding its way to my bracelet. And when i don't reply, my brother impatiently hits his hand against the wooden desk, which understandably causes me to flinch.

There it is, my brain taunts. That unfortunate temper of his.

It doesn't help that i am hyper-sensitive.

Ever since i was a little girl, i'd cry at just about anything anyone did or said to me. Though as i feel tears beginning to surface, it's clear i haven't changed much since then.

"Y—yes," i mumble, timidly. "Yes, i know why i'm here."

"And why is that?"

I take in a sharp breath and dare to glance up at him, but quickly direct my gaze elsewhere when i see the infuriated look on his face.

He releases a humorous laugh, he grins and shakes his head at me, but he is far from amused.

"If i were you, i'd start talking now, Little Girl."

"I snuck out, okay!" i exclaim. "I snuck out to a party on Friday and i got drunk."

I fully intended on being prepared for this conversation beforehand. I needed to have a plan in place in order to get myself out of trouble, but, of course, it's too late now.

Word travels all too quickly with so many people living under one roof.

"But—"

"Look me in the eye when you are speaking to me. Don't be a coward now."

Hesitantly, i raise my head and am met with Xavi's intimidating glare. Those brown eyes of his...much darker than Zephaniah's. They look so similar, it should frighten me. They are brothers, though. They can't exactly help it.