XXIX

— DAMIANO —

If there's one thing i hate in this world, it's hospitals.

The constant ring of the reception telephone putting me on edge, staff rushing from one place to another, and the utterly depressing waiting room.

It's like i'm anticipating bad news before i have even set foot in the building...

I can't help but feel like this entire situation is my fault. If i had never roped Rori into our petty feud, and if i had never lost my temper and threatened Zephaniah, we wouldn't be sitting here right now.

At the same time, i still stand by my belief that involving Rori was the only chance i had at forcing Zephaniah to confess his crimes. But if i had any idea there would be use of a gun, i surely wouldn't have.

This is the only time the two of us have ever been remotely quiet in one another's presence and, in fact, we have not spoken once since we arrived.

After shooting Rori, he was too stunned to do anything at first. Only when her eyes began to close did he pull himself together, alerting the paramedics of our sister's condition.

Her eyes were closed for what felt like a matter of minutes, but could only be around thirty seconds, and i had seriously worried. I didn't know how to deal with someone who had been shot, but i assumed violently shaking them was not a good idea, and so i was glad when she opened her eyes a few moments later.

She had fainted, i believe, but we were lucky she even woke up.

"I can't breathe," Rori cried out, clinging onto me like her life depended on it.

I knew she would require medical attention within the next ten minutes, otherwise we would risk her dying in my arms, but i wasn't sure where the nearest ambulance service was, and it made me panic a little.

I could see blood oozing from the left of Rori's waist. I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable, so, in my most gentle tone of voice, i asked, "May i lift the bottom of your shirt? I'm not going to touch you. I just need to see where it hurts."

I realised that i was speaking to her as if she were a toddler who had just tripped up while chasing after a butterfly, and not a teenager who had been hit by a bullet, but i figured i shouldn't draw attention to the severity of the situation.

Rori nodded, and i could tell even that action was difficult for her to do. Slowly, and with great concentration, i lifted the shirt up a few inches, cursing at the sight i was met with.

The bullet was wedged inside the left of her waist, and, even though i did not touch the surrounding area, Rori continued to wince from the pain.

My attempts to calm her down were of little use. I was level headed in pretty much every situation, no matter how stress inducing, but i had never dealt with something quite like this before.

I had never felt as though someone else's life was in my hands, and it was truly terrifying.

Nevertheless, i put on a brave face for my newfound baby sister and removed my expensive cashmere sweater, using it to apply pressure to the wound so she wouldn't bleed out.

"I can't breathe," she cried out once more.

I believed that her shortness of breath was not only induced by the bullet, but by herself.