forty-eight.*

BRIDGET GALLAGHER

Through the music and talking, all my ears heard was the solid gold ring hit the floor. With each bounce, the noise of the party silenced and I heard only every level of trust I had restored in Aiden shatter. As his footsteps grew closer, I stuffed the 'H' ring in my clutch before he could see it. I reminded myself of my conversation with Dean.

Trauma can block the memory of major events.

There could be an explanation.

Please, let there be an explanation.

"What is going on?" He asked, placing his hand on the small of my back.

"I thought I saw someone." I lied in the most honest way I could, not turning to face him yet.

It didn't matter that lying was the best option. And it was. He had a long night ahead of him filled with endeavours he refused to share with me. Regardless, each new lie lacerated my oesophagus as I tainted my one safe place with acidic dishonesty.

Aiden grabbed my arm and practically dragged me down the empty hallway until he found an unlocked door. The room resembled a small lounge, housing only couch and side table with a bucket ice chilling multiple bottles of champagne. Before I could even comprehend what was going on, he locked the door and pinned me against it. Menacing and gentle all in one motion.

"What are you doing?" I asked, smirking at him as he undid his belt. Urgency fuelled his every movement.

"All day, I have tried to let you do this your way." He began, concentrating on his hands as he created a double looped hole.

"Aiden," I interrupted.

"I've not finished yet." He snatched my wrists to slip my hands through the loop, tossing my clutch on the lounge seat.

His teeth bit down on the leather strap to tighten and trap my wrists in the knot, "I think I've been pretty fucking patient given the circumstances."

"We agreed we weren't going to tell each other—"

"I know what I fucking agreed to." He snapped. "But there are at least four hundred people here, and only one of me. And, you are being reckless."

He glanced up at the coat hanger above us. He smirked to himself. The warm peppermint tinted scotch of his breath lingered at the crus of my ear as he hooked the buckle onto it, immobilising my arms completely.

"Aiden," I breathed. I knew where this was going. Lying was near impossible when I was this close to him. My heart pounded so hard that my ribcage vibrated. "Nothing happened."

The feathering touch of his lips took flight at the head of my elbow. As he continued down the inside of my bicep and the top of my breast, I tugged at the belt, but he had secured my wrists with no slack.

The pressure of his lips was so faint, it was as if he wanted only to give the ghost of his touch and nothing more. My breathing quickened with anticipation as he reached the crook of neck, leaving only a soft brush before parting.

His index finger traced a faint line along my collarbone. My whole chest sparkled. There's a heaviness behind his light touch that warned me of his intent. I tried to swallow my reactions and wait for him to crack first.