thirty-five.*

Since Nick's phone call, not a single day has passed without a change in Abby's condition. Her situation was not looking good. If she didn't improve by the end of the week, it was more likely that she would spent the rest of her life unconscious on a ventilator. Every time she made progress something set her back a step. One minute, she was stable. The next minute her creatinine would creep up and her kidneys won't cooperate.

Nate and I were talking in the waiting room to pass the time when he abruptly stopped mid sentence as two nurses rushed into Abby's room. We stood up to follow them. Nick was standing outside watching intently with his hands on the back of his neck.

"What happened?! Is she okay?!" Nate asked frantically.

"She moved her fingers. I was holding her hand and she moved. Her pupils constricted when the nurse shined a light in her eyes."

The nurse came out of her room, "Mr. Shepard, can I speak to you? It's best for her to just see family for now."

I had to remind myself not to respond. I was still Jacob Montgomery, who has no blood relation to Abigail. As I watched Nate walk into Abigail's room, acidic unease rose in my esophagus.

Abigail's doctor stepped out the room, "Mr. Montgomery, Nate is asking that you come in. The nurses are ready if she needs anything."

I nodded and walked in, leaving Nick alone in the hallway. Abigail's face was now naked all of the tubes and wires shielding her familiarity. Seeing her conscious stung in my eyes. Part of me wanted to break down and apologise for everything I had done that led to this, but I maintained my composure.

There were a million things I wanted say but a weak, "Hi," was all I could muster out of me. She didn't need to say anything for me to see her confusion.

"Nate, who is this?" Abigail asked. Her voice was weak and raspy from the intubation. My short-lived relief washed away. Externally, I gripped a calm demeanour, inhaling in a large breath of the ICU's chemical infested air.

Nate and I looked at each other for a moment, silently deciding how to proceed.

"We are good friends." I said. Telling her who I was would worsen her fear. Her memory was going to improve, so there was no need to alarm her that she couldn't remember that I was her brother.

"Why can't I— What happened?" She began to panic, wildly blinking away the persistent tears in her eyes.

"It's okay. Abby, you just woke up. You may just be a bit groggy." Nate said trying to calm her.

"It's not okay. I'm supposed to know him, and I don't remember him."

"Do you know why you're here?" Nate asked. She shook her head. Nate was panicking, and Abby was beyond confused. "You don't remember?"

"No, what happened?"

"What about Nick? You have to remember Nick." He pressed.

"Nate, stop. Calm down." I whispered, gripping his shoulder.

"Let's give Abigail some air." A nurse walked Nate outside with me following behind them. "Nathan, your sister has endured both extreme physical and psychological trauma. She suffered a traumatic brain injury just from the fall when she was shot. I know it's unsettling, but be easy on her. It could be temporary. The doctor is on his on way in to evaluate her memory. Please, do not say or ask anything that would be alarming to not remember." She said to Nate before opening the door for Abigail's doctor.