twenty-three.

BRIDGET GALLAGHER

As I sat the sand focused on building my castle, I felt another presence coming toward me. Before I even looked up, I was was being tackled to the ground by a Siberian Husky that could not have older than two months. I giggled as I lifted the small dog off my chest. She, or he for all I know, played in my lap while what seemed like his owner came running.

"Hey! Come back!" He called. The little boy looked to be around my age.

I still had the dog in my arms when I was met with the owners twinkling, green eyes standing over me.

"Sorry, I just got him a couple days ago. He doesn't listen to me yet." His voice sounded different, or maybe it was just how he spoke.

"Why do you talk funny?" I blurted out.

"I'm English. What's your excuse?" He chuckled, "Can I have my dog back please?"

"She's so cute!" I gushed, "What's her name?"

"It's a boy. No name yet. Sorry he ruined your sand castle." He apologised as he took his dog back from my arms. I stood up to shake off all the sand.

"It's okay. What's your name?" I asked, crouching down to play his dog.

"Aiden, what's yours?"

"Bridget, but everyone just says Bee." I said playing with my blonde waves on my shoulders.

"Like a bumblebee. I like it. Mind if I use it for my dog?" He asked casually. As I stood back up, I shook my head in disapproval.

"You can't give my name to a dog!" I objected in a bratty tone, "It's a girl's name."

"What's the boy version of Bee?" He wondered as he began to brainstorm.

"I don't know. Bo?" I guessed. He grinned like that name was a good fit.

"Bo! Yes! Thank you. That answers your question. His name is Bo."

Another voice called his name before I could say anything. He hooked the leash onto the dog's collar to leave.

"That's my mum, so I have to go. Thanks for naming my dog. See you around, honeybee." He smiled before walking away on the beach with Bo walking by his side.

As Aiden walked off in the distance, the sand beneath my feet began to disappear too. I was nervous at first until I finally woke up to see I wasn't on the beach. I was dreaming. Still half-conscious, I wondered why I dreamt this forgotten memory of someone I haven't known for nearly sixteen years. Then, the panic struck when I tried to rub my eyes and couldn't move my wrists. My eyelids flew open in fear as I took in my surroundings.

The memory of how I got here paralysed me as it flooded my brain, sending a silent alarm through my body. Dim lighting dilated my pupils. The horror of my predicament started to register. The room was poorly lit and enclosed by cement brick walls. A lack of windows sparked my anxiety further. Ropes strapped my ankles painfully tight against a chair. In font of me was what I assumed to be a two way mirror. I didn't even realise tears wetted my face until my vision blurred the black silhouette walking into the room.

"Good morning." He said. The man's voice was altered. A hood and mask shielded his face. The only visible part of him was his hands.